1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need advice immediately about shipped chicks!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by duckncover, Oct 9, 2013.

1. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    I ordered 6 chicks and 2 ducklings from Ideal and got an email that they shipped out yesterday. Last time I ordered from them they arrived a day after. I called the post office and got a sweet lady and she told me they are here and alive and to come pick them up. Today when I called they told me I got someone else and they said they won't be checking until 10am!! What if my chicks are in the back of a truck freezing? What should I do? I don't know for sure that they came today but that's how it happened last time. I'm just worried that they are cold and dying. It's freezing out this morning. I'm really bad with dealing with people. I'm afraid to call back. What can/should I do?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    One person says your order is there and to go pick them up, the other person says they wont be available until 10am? You shouldve got the name of the first person and gone to the post office to pick them up and referenced her name to whomever you talk to when you got there.

3. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    No, that was last time. This time they said they won't know if they arrived until 10am! I did call back and got someone else and he said they are not here yet and they won't know if they will arrive here for sure until 10am. Can they come later like that? I usually hear people getting a call around 7:30am. I'm really nervous with this cold weather. It was still nice out when I ordered them and now it's getting cold again. I sure hope Ideal Poultry packed extra chicks for warmth!

4. jt dancer

jt dancer Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2013
    My post office called me at 10:15 am to let me know my girls arrived.

5. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    I hope it is the same case with me, that they are just late. I just hope they arrive today. I'm really worried with this cold weather. Last time they came very early in the morning like 6am and they also only took overnight to get here so I was expecting the same. Anyone else's babies arrive later in the morning?

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Your first post was kind of confusing to me the way it was written, but now I understand.
    I've ordered chicks from Ideal before, a minimum $25 order (about 12 chicks, all pullets) and received 33 chicks. There were 21 male Leghorn chicks for warmth purposes mixed in with the Black Stars and RIR's pullets I ordered. They were all alive and very healthy chicks when I opened the box after I got home.
    Hopefully Ideal did the same for your order, in which case you'd have nothing to worry about. You can call Ideal and ask them if they put extra chicks in your order for warmth purposes, doesnt hurt to ask.

7. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    I'm going to call them at 9am when they are open to check. It's an hour difference from here. I'm just worried about them. I hope they did put the warming chicks in but I also hope they marked my chicks so I can tell them apart. I'm really worried about the ducklings and the 2 silver wyandotte pullets, the rest were just to fill the order and will be sold.

8. hogster160

hogster160 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    New Carlisle, Indiana
    I didn't order from Ideal, but my post office called me around 10 am as well. They were alive and well. I'm sure yours are fine. I would also think that the hatcheries check the weather and will send packing peanuts if they feel they will be needed for warmth. Congratulations on your new chicks and good luck!

9. akelley

akelley Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Conroe, TX
    I got my call at 8:45 AM to pick up my Ideal chicks. I think it depends on what time the truck shows up at the post office.

Call them when they open and ask what time they expect their trucks in.

They may also have a later truck that they could be on, so ask about that, too.

10. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    It really does help to stay in touch with your local post office. In the future, chicks hatched in Spring are preferable to any other time of year. Ordering from hatcheries/breeders who are closer to where you reside puts less stress on the chicks too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by