Need Advice Mount Airy, NC Planner says Chcikens are "Livestock" but

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by VirtualHermit, Oct 18, 2009.

1. VirtualHermit

VirtualHermit New Egg

Oct 18, 2009
    Mount Airy, NC
    I need advice on how to proceed with raising chickens and quail in my backyard in the city limits of Mount Airy, NC (Mayberry).

About a year ago I asked the city planner if chickens were allowed in the city he said no livestock was allowed in the city unless you had 10 acres. However when I search the city ordinances it does not define poultry or fowl or chickens as livestock and there is one section that says that you cannot let your poultry run loose (which to me implies you can keep poultry).

Also, when I search the NC General Statutes , in any definition of livestock they do not include poultry... And anywhere livestock and poultry are used together it does so implying that they are in different categories.

So, how should I proceed? Get a clarification, go to the city council, or just do it and then deal with it when my nosey neighbor calls and reports it?

We really want to move to the country, but our house has been for sale for two years and am tired of waiting to have chickens and have a decent place to garden.

Thanks,
    Will

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Welcome to this forum. Glad to have you here.

Sounds like you have done a bit of research and have built a case. You could take your information back to the planner and discuss it in person. I think that would be my first step. Then you could talk to your elected city representative, whatever the councilperson is called there, especially if you have one elected from your district. First, try it nice, with bringing in the heavy guns your second option.

That comment about poultry running loose could help, or it could be interpretted to mean if you have 10 acres, your poultry cannot run loose. I'm sure you cannot let your livestock run loose either, so calling out poultry could make a difference.

It might help if you have plans for how your coop and run would keep them contained. Tell them you plan on no roosters to keep the noise down. Maybe have photos of silkies, Polish, whatever you plan to keep, that shows they are more pets than the standard chickens. Of course, that's only if you plan on keeping an exotic breed.

Diplomacy has never been a strength of mine. I wish you luck on your journey through elected officialdom.

3. wycked67

wycked67 New Egg

Jan 11, 2014
    Mount Airy, NC
    Did you ever take this further or did you just do it? I am also in the city limit and read the ordinances. They indicate that poultry are not livestock. The planner is wrong I believe.

4. LizardKing

LizardKing Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2012
    First post was in 2009.
    Shame there was never a follow up to let us know how it turned out.
    I find the thought of not being allowed to have some backyard chickens in Mayberry very offensive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by