Need advice my chickens were mulled by 2 loose dogs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bnclachicas, Feb 8, 2012.

1. bnclachicas

bnclachicas New Egg

Oct 23, 2011
    This past Sunday as me and my family were enjoying a day at the Childrens Museum, during the daytime, someone's well fed loose mutts came and killed all.... but 3 of my chickens. They killed 14 in total I was so ****** I had never seen these dogs before. We got home as the dogs was killing the last one. My chickens were in there fence. The dogs jumped the fence and killed them in their cages all over the place . It was a masacare. I ran up and kicked the crap out of the dog and chased them across the field. They still stayed so I went and got my .22 and fired, more or less warning shots. They took off.... but were right back in morning. So my husband gave me the shot gun. I fired at both of them . Missed the first one, but I think I got the other one. One of the dogs came back a 3rd time, without his killing buddy. So I called the pound. They came and got the dog, I could've blasted him but decided not to. I lost my whole flock.I am still so sad over this. I can file charges if someone claims the dog. In Va its the freedom of Information Act, so u can find out who it is and press charges, but in VA they only give u 5$ for each killed bird. Dont know if I will bother. I am glad and sad I got one of the dogs. But I loved my chickens they were my babies. I raised them all from babies, So anyways I have vented and shared part of the situation. WEll now the wounded birds, 2 were chewed on quite a bit. My rooster is standing and doing fine except for his chewed but and his missing tail feathers. My hen was very badly mulled but I think she can heal, except for her leg. It dosent seem to be broken, but Im afraid her muscle or tendons in her back or where ever are damaged. She's keeping her leg outstretched and not standing on it. She tries but cant. She has the will to live, she is eating and drinking, and alert and calm. aside from obvious she apears not in pain, she stands when I hold her up. I think the bites will heal, but will she walk? I dont want to kill my own chicken when she seems so aware. I cut alot of feathers off her today so I could see better. And help keep poo from sticking to her. I have placed a washcloth under her bad leg side so she keep her balance without straining so much. I ve have a deep wound cleanser. and antiseptic, That is mrsa resistant and is healing it good from what I can tell. Wonder if I should put neosporin on it. I also got an antibiotic for the water, and that electolite stuff for lil chics. Every bit helps. JUst not sure if it would be fair to her if she ends up not being able to get around so good. ALso they been inside since this happened. I have my hen in a tote and she is sitting in a box in the tote. Keeping their bedding clean each day. Soon, probaly at end of week i can put roooster back outside. He seemed upset when I seperated him from his girl. But she didnt mind. I had one chicken that head extrememly well. She didnt get hurt at all. SHe layed low and didnt move when all the chaos was happening. Them dogs sure had a field day. Stupid dogs!! My babies never had no issues like this before. Figures this would happpen when I had a good day, just to come home to a mess. ANy advice would be appreciated. I hope my girl can make it.

2. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    The best thing to do is continue what you are doing. If the leg is broken you can put a soft splint on it so she won't put weight on it but that it has support if she does. If the tendon is injured it may or may not heal well--only time will tell. If it improves you can do physical therapy after at least a few weeks to help her move it better. Continue cleaning the wounds daily and using Neosporin (without pain meds in it) is fine as well as a full course of antibiotics. I'd also offer a little extra protein in their diet to help the body grow tissues, skin and feathers.

To stop such sad carnage from ever happening again you'll need to increase your security. I don't know how high your fence is but a cover or roof may be needed. Electrical fencing may help as well.

I am so sorry you experienced this [​IMG]

3. chickerdoodle

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
  4. egghead@1265

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2011
    U.S.
    I am so sorry that this happened!

I cannot believe people can allow their pets to go so wild and ...! I can surely understand your anger and your sadness!

Keep us updated on how your few survivors fare!

We are sure pulling for them and hope they can recover!

Also, what is up with this law you refer too? And besides the law, doesn't it make you wonder about the pet owners as well?!? Why aren't they being responsible? EWW!

So sorry, crossing our fingers, wings, and chicken toes that your chicken heals!

5. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Three words; SSS (= Shoot, Shovel, Shutup!)

6. chickerdoodle

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    The problem with the "SSS" method is that it doesn't stop other dogs from doing the same thing. It's certainly their owner's fault (if they have one) for not keeping them contained. [​IMG]

The unfortunate truth is it is our responsibility to keep our birds safe as every predator wants a free chicken dinner. It is often difficult to think of every scenario that could happen and sad losses happen. Do not beat yourself up over this but learn from it. I send my wishes that your chickens heal well and you can put this behind you. [​IMG]

7. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

While SSS may not work well as a deterrent, it does dramatically cut back on the number of repeat offenders.

8. bnclachicas

bnclachicas New Egg

Oct 23, 2011
    Thx for advice, I will let evryone know the outcome of my hen. She doing ok. She looks me right in my eye. She is one of the first chickens I got 2 years ago. She knows Im helping her. NOt moving much, but skin appears to be healing, time will tell. She didnt move much today, I was working with her tonite with her foot, it had got super cold. So I started moving her and her foot to get blood moving again, I hope she doesnt end up with ganggreen in her leg. Her foot and leg got warm again , I rubbed it, moved her toes around. I have to hold her up though, but she try to move. Her wings are fine as they flap about in my face. I sat with her for a long time gave her bread thats what she wanted and had to hold water dish up to her so she could drink. Like feeding a baby also. had to use a baby wipe on her butt. I feel so terrible for her, but Iam doing my best. Tried a makeshift sling thing tonite but I didnt feel comfortable about that. I rolled a towel like into a tube size and put it around her like a nest to hold her body up more and take weight off her leg. But Iam sure she will be moved in morning. I just want to keep blood in the foot. Foot is not injured I think it has something to do with all the injury to her back, I dont think nothing is broken, most likely the muscles. I held her tonite trying to get her to grasp my fingers. I felt a lil strength, not much yet though...... The law in Virgina Iam refering to is the Freedom Of Information Act. .. The dog that came back a third time went to pound. He will set there for 10 days to see if someone claims him. If someone does, I can find out from pound that owner got him. They cant tell me who it was though, so I have to go downtown to file under this act to find out this persons name. Then I can file a suit for loss of my property/ birds once I have a name. A lot of hoopla! But the dog wont be put down if not claimed they will try to adopt him out. He was a friendly dog except for the fact they killed my birds. They were big dogs like labadores or some other kind of bird dogs. Both black, I thought they was bears in my yard at first. Thats why i could nt shoot at em no more. Just called pound. Iam a softee, but not really a fan of dogs at all. But they never had come my way before they was just some random loose dogs. Usually my chickens are out of there fence loose, doing their runs around the yard pecking stuff. I was always worried about what can get them at nite if not put up, They always go back to roost on their own. But this massacare happened during day when we was gone. I still love chickens but not replacing them all for now. Maybe get a few hens for outside for the lucky ones who made it.

9. bnclachicas

bnclachicas New Egg

Oct 23, 2011
    If owner claims dog, I have an incident report and name of responding officer to take downtown. Which somehow ties into this incident report being tied to owner so I can file those charges if I want. Just adding this I forgot it.

10. bnclachicas

bnclachicas New Egg

Oct 23, 2011
    sssh only one offender came back!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by