Need advice, Nasty delaware roo

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Brad & Barb, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Brad & Barb

Brad & Barb New Egg

Sep 11, 2010
    Hope you can give us a ray of sunshine
    We have 4 Delawares , 3 hens and a roo. He is 11 months old and turned nasty , It happened after my wife picked up one of the hens. I have used advise from this fourm to try to change him, But no luck .
    We waited a long time to get these Delawares and they are Beautiful.
    We now have 12 eggs in our incubator that are from him.
    Is there any chance we might get just one nice roo out of the bunch . Then I can put this nasty boy in the pot
    I have read that a nasty rooster will only breed more nasty rosters.
    Has anyone successfully gotten a nice one from a bad one,
    We are new at this, But thank's to all the nice people on this great web site we did it !!!!
    Thank you again for all your help in the past.

Brad and Barb
    Sussex co Delaware,
    Indian River

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I raised Delawares from good breeder lines with good temperaments and my boy, Isaac, is a great, sweet, calm rooster, but he did have a brother who turned nasty after being a super friendly chick. It's more of an individual thing, really, but bad temperament can be inherited. I started with some mean hatchery Dels and sold them all. Isaac is the perfect rooster and most of his sons are very good natured as well. I wouldn't keep a mean boy and risk passing on that trait, not when there are so many awesome ones.

You can on occasion get a mean one from a good one and vice versa, though.

3. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Does he get nasty only when you pick up HIS girls, or is it a regular thing? Most roos don't like you touching their women, some will be more nasty than others, but an attack is a no-no! May I suggest if it's the latter; chicken pot pie, chicken and dumplings, chicken soup...

As for getting a nice cockerel out of him, yes, there is a chance, but there is also the chance the "nasty gene" will get passed on too. Sorry, that's probably not what you wanted to hear! [​IMG] I've got one here right now that has a date with the soup pot in the near future, and he is NOT in the gene pool.

4. Brad & Barb

Brad & Barb New Egg

Sep 11, 2010
    Thanks Speckledhen and Debbi, Stanley's right nasty all the time.
    My wife named the hens after the Golden Girls and of cource that rooster had to be named Stanley
    I would like to rename "DEAD" Sure hope someone will give us better news.
    Brad and Barb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by