NEED ADVICE!! Natural Hatch in cold weather!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by heritagegirls1, Feb 10, 2014.

1. heritagegirls1

heritagegirls1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2014
    Knutsford BC, Canada
    I have an Americana Cross Hen that was broody for 4 weeks and I finally put 12 fertilized eggs under her (also blue Americauna from a farm with a rooster). The eggs started Hatching yesterday (day 21) by this morning we had 9 hatched. 3 eggs haven's shown promising signs so we are giving them 24 more hours and then removing them.

It is cold here (-5 C) the brooder pen (which is inside a insulated but not warm coop) has Hay bales around all four sides and a heat lamp above it. The water has not frozen in it for the last 2 nights.

MY question is should I help the chicks find water and food?

The chick food and water are within 18 inches of the hens nest, but she is still sitting on her chicks and they are not coming out from underneath her.

When should I intervene?

I want this Hatch to be natural as possible but I am also concerned then hen my sit on them while they starve to death.

Any Advice??

2. HardizzlesFlock

HardizzlesFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    South-East Washington
    When they hatch they absorb a yolk sack. That yolk sack can feed them for 2-3 days.If the hen is still sitting on them it I either too cold or more eggs are going to hatch

3. heritagegirls1

Jan 18, 2014
    Knutsford BC, Canada
    Thanks for the advice! Thanks what I thought about the yolk sac, so I will let nature take its course for a bit longer.

4. HardizzlesFlock

HardizzlesFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    South-East Washington
    Its hard to sit on your hands lol. My babies just hatched a few days ago. It was SO HARD!

5. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Your chicks have plenty of food in their belly from the hatch
    and this should last 2 to 3 days so you haven't a worry till
    day 4 or 5 and then them little chicks will be up a running
    all over the place .......

Good luck on the other egg's [​IMG]

6. heritagegirls1

Jan 18, 2014
    Knutsford BC, Canada
    [​IMG]

Thank you for advice! Mama hen was up this Am for a few minutes and some of the chicks were stumbling around picking at the scrambled eggs we brought out.

Always a good reminder that nature knows best.

Sorry for the poor quality picture (Due to the heat lamp).

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's great how the chicks are designed to be able to forgo food and water for a day or so while momma sets and lets everyone finish hatching. It's hard, we're so programmed that every new baby has to eat as soon as they're born, but chicks are different. I wait until momma takes them off the nest that first time to show them food and water to clean out the nest, removing any unhatched eggs and the shell debris. My experience is any eggs that haven't hatched at that time aren't going to, although if you're so inclined you could but some in an incubator if you have one available. Tricky part is getting momma to take those incubator babies into her clutch after a few days--most mommas won't.

1 person likes this.
  8. heritagegirls1

Jan 18, 2014
    Knutsford BC, Canada
    Update: all the chicks are running around eating drinking And taking feather naps under mom. She is amazing showing them how to scratch and drink. Momma left the next and eggs were cool so I removed them. 2 were full of red liquid and one had begun hatching (small pip) but for some reason died. The other 9 chicks are healthy and adorable!
    Thank you for everyone getting me through the first 48 hours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by