Need advice - newborn bantam chick with week old std. chicks??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Three Cedars Silkies, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I had only 1 bantam cochin chick hatch out of 6. I put a wire screen in the brooder between the new chick and 7 week old chicks. That lasted about an hour and the new chick is screaming it's head off. I put him in with the others, even though he is about 1/4 their size. So far they seem ok. Do you think this will work in the long run or is it likely that they will start picking on him?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2008
  2. Three Cedars Silkies

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Anyone have any ideas?

3. jakmallex

jakmallex Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    NC
    I had 6 standard RIR and 10 bantams living together for about a week, then the big ones started to trample the little ones, pick at them, eat all the food, etc. I've had 2 chicks live alone due medical reasons. They screamed their little heads off the first day, then they were totally fine with it.

4. fowlafoot

fowlafoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Midwest
    I tried putting a sebright in with my standard Orloffs and Thai and they laid on him and picked at him. It just didn't work for me, if you want to try is watch them carefully or they may inadvertantly squish him.

5. Three Cedars Silkies

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Thanks for your experience...I moved him back over by himself. Although they did pick on him too much, he is a newborn and you know they like to sleep a LOT during the first couple of days. He couldn't even lay down without getting trampled.

6. fowlafoot

fowlafoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Midwest
    There's always the mirror or feather duster or stuffed animal if he gets lonely but he's much better not getting stepped on [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by