need advice not all my eggs are fertile

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cowchickfarmer, Feb 10, 2015.

1. cowchickfarmer

cowchickfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2014
    Arkansas the ozarks
    I have this maran roo for 6 years now and this is my first time to hatch out of him I also have a bantam roo I would have thought that would have been enough roos for 45 hens . so I'm asking is my roo too old for fertile .

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

45 hens is a lot of hens for 2 roosters. Some roosters are not as fertile after age 3 as he used to be. Another problem is roosters will spend all of their energy breeding their 5-6 favorite hens. My suggestion would be to pen the roosters with 8-10 hens per hen. I think that will help your fertility rates. Good luck!

3. PirocaKeeper

PirocaKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2014
    Western Massachussetts
    I don't think there is an age where a rooster is not fertile, but I think it also has to do with its diet. As they get older they also get more mellow and not as aggressive sexually as cockerels are. In my opinion if you are interested in breeding your rooster/hen ration needs to be a lot lower. I believe 1 rooster per 8-10 hens is what I have heard is the max. I have heard of breeders keeping a rooster per 3-4 hens, for breeding purposes. If your roosters are for general purposes (hen watch) and for occasional hatching, even though that's too many hens for them to cover, it may be ok. If you want to hatch out of the marans rooster, you may want to separate him with some of your/his favorite hens for a couple of weeks and collect eggs from that time. When you hatch your little ones, leave another one or 2 grown in your flock (best way of adding a rooster to an existing flock with roosters is to let them grow in it).

4. cowchickfarmer

Dec 26, 2014
    Arkansas the ozarks
    Thank you that is what I have dicided on I love my handsome roos

5. cowchickfarmer

Dec 26, 2014
    Arkansas the ozarks
    I plan on putting him with some welsummers bo and some leghorns my little bantam will be with some top hats bantam hens and some bo

6. PirocaKeeper

PirocaKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2014
    Western Massachussetts
    Just make sure your favorite hens are also his favorite hens. Some roosters will not mate much with hens they are not attracted to. I have around 30 (4 roosters) and they seem to all want to mate the same girls and some of the girls don't get too much attention. In my case is ok, I am not expecting to breed them all. So happens that one of my favorite hens is 2 years old and almost never got mated with, has never layed an egg either.

7. cowchickfarmer

Dec 26, 2014
    Arkansas the ozarks
    This is another question what if I kept both my roos up in the coop with my 45 he s would I have a better hatch rate

8. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

45 hens for two roosters is just asking for infertility. Roosters pick out a few favorite hens to mate. Unless you pen the roosters with a small flock of their own you will have low fertility.

9. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Agreed - your fertility issue is related to your gender ratio.

10. cowchickfarmer

Dec 26, 2014
    Arkansas the ozarks
    So if I kept my 45 hens locked up in the coop would my roos tread the hens that he doesn't tread as much or should I just buy another roo .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by