Need Advice Now - Old Girl - Sick or Injured?

Mimi E

In the Brooder
May 18, 2020
Blackie is probably 9 years old - no one knows for sure because she's had 3 owners. We think she's a black Australorp (spelling?). she free ranges all day, into the coop at night where she has access to water, grit/calcium, and organic "scratch & peck" layer feed. They get meal worms as a treat daily. Only one other girl with her, an energetic turkey-neck. The coop has a sheltered "house" part and outside area - they have free access to the "house" part.
4 weeks ago, appeared to maybe have vent gleet. Messy butt, runny poop. Fed yogurt and wheat germ for a week, and soon she was back foraging with her friend. Poop seemed OK - but really couldn't tell who's was who's.

Day before yesterday was typical - out in the morning, foraging, back into the coup that night. Didn't check on them yesterday morning, as I knew they had water and food and we were going to be gone for a long day so we didn't let them range. Didn't check on them last night when we got home because it was dusk (bed time!).

This morning, Blackie was laying on the bedding floor in the yard area, one wing splayed open on the ground. Very cold feet. She cannot stand. Lethargic, not eating. I noted "messy butt" - but no white slimy stuff, found watery poop in the hay in the coop. I washed her in warm water and did my best to check for broken wing or leg. These are my first chickens, but I would think she'd react if I touched a broken bone. She is currently in a warm shed, with towels.

No vet visits - do I do anything except watch and give her access to food and water? I don't want her to suffer - how would I know if its time to send her to Chicken Heaven?

Having a messy rear is sometimes a sign of a reproductive problem. Even birds that are no longer laying due to age (do you know when she last laid?) can still develop them. Feel her abdomen, below the vent between the legs, does it feel bloated, either like a water balloon, or very firm? You said she's not eating, is her crop empty, or does it feel full, hard, soft and squishy, etc? Age might be catching up to her, but I would try to narrow it down some. Did you go over her thoroughly to look for any injuries hiding under feathers, and check her feet for any injuries?

I will go check those areas now. I did a surface check, for broken bones, cuts, etc. No obvious injuries under feathers, feet. I don't know if touching an injured area would make her react - she let me check her and no reaction like pain. Almost looks like she had a stroke or something - left wing and foot aren't working. She will lean against me but can't stand up. She tried to use her right foot to stand - no luck. Here's some photos.

Attachments

• Blackie 2.jpg
    Blackie 2.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Blackie 1.jpg
    Blackie 1.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 2
Also check her weight/ body condition. Is her keel well muscled or is her keel bone prominent? In the short term I would give her a super B complex tablet or capsule daily, it won't hurt anything, and if she hasn't been eating well for some reason, it may help. Try to get some warmed water in her, if you have electrolites give her some of that.

Back
Top Bottom