Need Advice on 2 Pekin Ducklings - Nares and Walking

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by new2thisstuff, Oct 19, 2014.

1. new2thisstuff

new2thisstuff Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2013
    Tennessee
    Hi,

I have three Pekin ducklings that were hatched in my 2nd grade classroom. The first one hatched six days ago. The other two hatched three days ago. I have searched the threads here, and while helpful, I am not sure which advice to follow. I certainly don't want to have 22 sad students if there is something that I can do to help these sweet babies.

The largest (oldest) doesn't have clearly opened nares. I noticed it from the time it hatched. At times, I can see moisture bubbling from them. It is eating well and swishing its head in the water dish. Here is a video of Popcorn doing his thing. He does try to scratch it with his foot.

What should I do?

[​IMG]

The second question that I have is related to the smallest one. The kiddos named him Slushy. :) He seems to be walking on tippy-toes. His toes were curled, and after some research, I found a thread that described taping his toes straight. I did that, and his toes were better the next morning. However, Slushy is still not walking properly. It's almost as if his legs aren't long enough to help him balance. I have noticed that his toes are curling again, so I have some self-grip tape to retape his toes.

What should I do about his legs?

Here is a short video of him walking:

I appreciate any advice that you can give!

2. WildThang

WildThang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    Tennessee
    I am by far no duckling expert expecually when it comes to these things. Would i be right to assume, that they will be in your second grade class with your students? If so, I would make sure they sit on the floor when holding the little guys. So they don't have much of a distance to fall if they drop them. Make sure they have soft hands (Don't grab them hard.) I'm sure you already have all these basics covered. But i have seen some mean kids with puppies when the kids don't even think they're being mean. I'd hate to see what could happen with a duckling. As far as the first one goes, let him drunk his head in the water, and push the water out of his nostrals. Sneezing in water, is fine. Its how they clean their sinues's and nose out. As far as the second one i'm not sure maybe some booties? Make him something where he cant walk on his tippie toes? I'm honestly not real sure what to do about that.

Have they been swimming? Sometimes that will help strengthen legs? And get him to use all of his foot and not just the tip? That might be able to help him train his feet.

1 person likes this.
  3. new2thisstuff

Oct 19, 2013
    Tennessee
    Hi,

I haven't let the kiddos handle them yet. I wanted to wait until the ducklings were a little older. When the students handle them, I have them sit criss-cross and put a towel in their lap. Don't want a pooped-on kid. I do stress not to squeeze. By the time they get to hold them, they have seen me handle them quite a bit. I appreciate your reminders. It is such a joy to see the children enjoy the ducklings.

I'll try to swimming idea.

Thanks!

4. new2thisstuff

Oct 19, 2013
    Tennessee
    Here is a Picture of how he sits:

[​IMG]

5. new2thisstuff

Oct 19, 2013
    Tennessee
    It's the guy on the top left.

6. WildThang

Jun 10, 2014
    Tennessee
    Yeah i would try swimming, just enough where they cant touch the bottom. Don't mind if they go underwater and swim in circles. Our pekins loooooooveed to dive. Even at a early age, They dived and swam underwater came back up did it all over again. However if he looks like he is having issues. Keep a finger under his chest to make sure he doesn't drown. Ducklings at least all the babies we had were known for sitting/sleeping all weird. They looked like dead ducks, (Road kill) Legs over here heads over there. The curl of the foot my ducks did not have. Try tapping it or putting a booty on it while he isn't in the water. To force him to use his whole foot. After a while he will grow use to it. Maybe for a week? See if that helps any.

I am glad you are taking procotions not only for the ducklings sake. But for the kids and your own..(Parents not might like poopy cloths LOL)

I will Pm someone that answers a lot of hurt/duck questions. She seems to know a lot, for you to have her take a look at this thread. Thank you for all the pictures. And video's they are a great help to identify the problems.

7. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Yes, the first duck just needs deeper water to be able to blow out those nares. They can get food in there and then it dries and they have a hard time breathing. It's easily fixed with deeper water. Is their water dish deep enough for him to dip the whole bill in?

Slushy just needs some "shoes" for 2-3 days. You can take a thin piece of plastic and trace around the shape/size of each foot, cut them out, and then tape his feet on top of the plastic shoes. That forces his feet to stay flat when he walks so they are in the correct position. I had the same problem with my youngest duck when she was little, but after two days with the shoe on she walked with her foot in the normal, flat position.

Good luck, and keep us updated! :)

8. new2thisstuff

Oct 19, 2013
    Tennessee
    We just had a good swim, and Popcorn's nares seem clearer! The names of our ducklings are along a movie theme. The first was Popcorn, and then a child suggested Movie for the next one, and Soda for the third one. :) In a vote, Popcorn, Pumpkin and Slushy were selected. Kids are great.

Do Slushy's shoes look okay? I wasn't sure about the back spurs.

Thanks for all of your comments. I really appreciate them!

Does this look okay for the shoes for Slushy? I used plastic on the bottom and sticky sections of band-aids for the toes.[​IMG]

9. WildThang

Jun 10, 2014
    Tennessee
    They look really good, the spurs on the back are supose to be there. All my ducks have them they don't walk on it. The only thing i could think of is to thin down the back to the shape of the foot. Make sure that the tape will stick. Keep there area dry, (Unless swimming.) So she doesn't knock off the tape. I figured he just had some snot stuck up his nose. Ducks need deep water deep enough to dunk their heads to keep their sinuses clear. :D Your doing great!

Just because he had sniffles and because they are so younge. I would keep them on something like this.
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/sav-a-chicktrade;-electrolyte-and-vitamin-supplement
    Mix it in their water supply. Change it out every day its extra vitamins. Im sure you already picked something similar up. But it is great for the ducklings, and when they aren't feeling well.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  10. new2thisstuff

Oct 19, 2013
    Tennessee
    He really doesn't like those shoes! However, if it helps, I'm all for it.

Thanks for your advice! It means a great deal to me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by