need advice on 4 day old chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Debbie74, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Debbie74

Debbie74 New Egg

Jan 3, 2014
    My chick is 4 days old and was hatched by me. The chick was fine till today now all of the sudden she will not sit or lay down. She stands and sways and sometimes falls over. She is still eating and drinking and looks ok, but I think she may be in pain. Why would a chick who always slept laying down now not be able to? Please I hope somebody can help.

Thanks

2. Double Laced

Double Laced Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2012
    Yorkshire
    Hi. is it possible to get a picture?

Is the chick making a lot of noise?

3. Debbie74

Debbie74 New Egg

Jan 3, 2014
    The chicks not making any more noise than before, just will not sit or lay down any longer. The chick in question is the silkie showgirl farthest from the food dish.[​IMG]

4. Ezs Choukies

Ezs Choukies Chillin' With My Peeps

How long has it been standing up for? Any other unusual signs?

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    can you get some vitamins into her, perhaps some electrolytes as well? Some folks use Polyvisol without iron, others use Nutri-drench which you should be able to buy at your feed store. There are others on the market as well. You want something with B vitamins, and vitamin E.

6. Double Laced

Double Laced Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2012
    Yorkshire
    Also check to see she absorbed her yolk correctly and the navel isn't infected.

Has the chick got a clean bottom, not caked or dirty.

Once had a chick that had some it's down all stuck in a clump underneath and it was causing pain when it moved in certain ways.

Do the joints all move properly with no inflammation or hot spots.

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Is she cold and trying to get some heat? Is she eating or drinking?

8. Debbie74

Debbie74 New Egg

Jan 3, 2014
    She is eating and drinking fine. I have been giving her the sav.a.chick electrolytes and probiotics in her water since she was hatched. I did wash her butt of to make sure it wasn't pasty butt.

About an hour ago I noticed she did lay down, but as soon as she saw me she jumped up and ran over to me. I will have to sneak in and check on her in a few without her seeing me. I don't think she is cold the thermometer is reading 98 degrees at the warmest part of the brooder.

At what age can I take away the paper towels and have them in the pine shavings? I tried to take the paper towels away both neither chick would walk in the pine shavings. They wanted nothing to do with it.

Thanks for all the advice :)
    Debbie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by