~NEED ADVICE~ on a breed of chicken for my boys

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tylgar6601, Mar 31, 2012.

1. tylgar6601

tylgar6601 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2012
    We are VERY NEW to the chicken world and I must say, I am blessed to have found this site!!!
    We are getting chickens from our local 4-H program to raise. Sorry to say they haven't told us what type of chicks we are getting yet:( That being said, I would like to know everyones opinions on a good breed of chicken. My boys are 8 and 10 and I am sure we are going to be getting more chicks in the future. We want to chickens that are good egg layers and have a good if not GREAT temperment. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. myfivegirls

myfivegirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Delhi, NY
    If you look at the "breeds" section - it's the tab at the top of the page between "coops" and "reviews". It has a whole list of the different breeds with their various qualities, etc.

Also if you do a search on BYC for "best chicken breed" or "favorite chicken breed", you might find your answer.

As far as what I've experienced, I've found the cross breed that's called various names, such as "Red Star, Red sex link, golden commet," etc to be an excellent layer and one of the friendliest breeds.
    I also like the Easter Eggers, which lay green eggs and have beards and ear tuffs. They can be friendly, but sometimes they're a little skittish, if not handled enough when they're young.

Many people love the Buff Orpington and Barred Rocks - the Buff Orp is known to be very friendly. I have not raised any of those two breeds myself, but usually they're among the "top five breeds".

Hope this helps and enjoy the adorable chick stage!

3. tylgar6601

tylgar6601 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2012
    Thank you so much for your advice!! I have heard we may be getting Red sex link chicks this year. Everyone that I have talked to that have had these chick from the 4-H program said they were the friendlest chicks they have ever had. They also said they were great egg layers. Hope this is true:)
    I will check out the forums on the different breed types. I am sure this will give me the info that I am looking for. I am still very new to the chick world and this site. I want to learn as much as I can before we get our babies.
    I have a friend that has Buff Orpington chickens and she says she LOVES THEM. She said they are very docile and her rooster (he is a monster) is the friendlest rooster she has ever had, and she has had chickens forever.
    I appreciate your advice:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by