Need advice on ailing chickens and feed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DanaD, Dec 11, 2014.

1. DanaD

DanaD New Egg

Dec 11, 2014
    My daughter raises chickens and ducks. For the last couple of months, we've been getting the throw aways from grocery store and using that to supplement the chickens food. We thought it would be more healthy than the Purina granules that are full of GMO's and such. We don't feed the chickens any of the dangerous produce (ie, avocado's and potatoes.) Since we've started this routine, we are losing chickens and ducks very slowly. We had the latest chicken autopsied only to find no reason for her death. The Dr. made the comment, maybe she ate something toxic?? Do any of you have any thoughts on whether or not the grocery store scraps could be the problem? We don't feed them moldy scraps, just wilting or the scraps from food prep such as watermelon rinds. Just don't want to see my daughter lose any more of her beloved pets. Thx!

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Have you wormed your chickens? Do they only get scraps from the store? Do you feed them any type of poultry ration?

3. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    Are they getting any commercial feed or just veggie scraps ?

4. DanaD

DanaD New Egg

Dec 11, 2014
    The chickens are currently getting some feed as well as produce from the store. We started adding in some diatomaceous earth with their feed just in case they were wormy. The autopsy did not show any parasites or worms on the latest chicken to pass away.

5. JanetMarie

JanetMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    If the grocery store scraps seems to be the problem, I would stop. Are the grocery store scraps organic or sprayed with pesticides?

6. matt44644

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    What is the ratio of feed vs.scraps?Are they getting more scraps than feed?

7. DanaD

DanaD New Egg

Dec 11, 2014
    The girls are eating more scraps than chicken feed. No, it's not organic produce. I really thought it would be healthier for them to eat the more produce than the chicken feed we were buying...ugh.

8. matt44644

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    My Guess is that they are not getting the proper amounts of nutrition ,vitamins etc.

9. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    The scraps you are giving are insufficient in certain key nutrients - protein chief among them. Essentially, they are succumbing to malnutrition.

10. DanaD

DanaD New Egg

Dec 11, 2014
    Thank you all for your time and comments! We'll make some quick changes on diet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by