1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need advice on an injured rooster

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by merry123, Feb 3, 2016.

1. merry123

merry123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2016
    Amarillo Texas
    I can home from work last week and found my 5 mo old Cemani rooster unable to stand. X-Ray showed him with a broken tail bone and swollen gizzard area. I've kept him separated from the hens and as still as possible. He is alert , eating and drinking well, but has lost all use of his right leg, and tail of course. Any suggestions on how to help him?

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I would seek the advice of a veterinarian ASAP. Also you can immediately post on our Emergencies, Diseases, Injuries, and Cures section in Raising BackYard Chickens under the Forum at the top of the page and take advantage of our experts there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. I hope your Jersey Giant will be okay.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. Sorry, but I'm far from an expert on treating injuries, but i hope that others will chip in over the course of the day to help you out.

Good luck
    CT

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Flock Master Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Has your vet offered any advice? Did the bird suffer a fall ?

6. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Fore!
    [​IMG]

Since you've had an x-ray, I assume you've already taken him to the vet. What does your vet recommend? If he's one that doesn't usually treat chickens (a lot of them don't), post over on the emergency forum and give a full accounting of your roo's injuries and treatment so far (pictures may help too). Hopefully, someone over there can give you some advice.

Good luck, I hope he'll be fine.

7. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft! Premium Member

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by