Need Advice on best way to manage this!!! She is my favorite!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CherryChick, Sep 14, 2011.

1. CherryChick

CherryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Indiana
    My little Juliet has had a rough life.
    When I got her as a chick she had croocked toes and spalyed legs. I took care of her and she was able to walk after having to put braces on and one of her feet turned out normal while the other one is still crooked. She is also the runt of our chicks and the bottom of the pecking order.
    Now I noticed her yester day limping. Now when she stands she has to bring her injuried foot up. She doesn't want to put any pressure on it. She is eating and drinking. But she is sitting down a lot more than usual. When she is up wondering around she hops around.
    I picked her up and held her she didn't fuss or act like she was hurt.
    Do you think it is just a sprain? If so how would the best way to treat it?
    Please help!

2. starforever61

starforever61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    I really don't know much about the internal stuff yet... but hey, are there any black dots or black circles on the bottom of either of her feet? sorry bout her [​IMG]

3. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Has she been getting picked on? Any swelling in the foot? Is the roost very high? Examine the kneecaps underneath the feathers. Examine her all over carefully. You could try giving her a little plain aspirin for a few days, maybe about 1/8 crushed in water using a dropper.

4. starforever61

starforever61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    oh, by the way, if there ARE black dots or circles on the bottom of her feet (which it sounds like there would be), she has bumblefoot. and there's awesome videos online of how to fix that up. [​IMG]

5. CherryChick

CherryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Indiana
    I have noticed swelling on the bottom of her foot. But here is not black spot.
    She does get picked on by the older girls since she is on the bottom of the pecking order. The roost is a little to high i think. ( even thou my bf thinks its just fine) She has one foot/Toes have have been crooked since she was little.
    Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it!! Would I need to put a splint on her if she just sprain it? Or should I just bring her inside with me for a couple days and let her heal on her own?

6. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    If you really can't find a specific injury, what I would do is put her into a comfortable cage to limit her mobility, and give her some baby asprin, and spoil her for a few days.....Maybe that will give her time to rest that leg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by