Need advice on blowing eggs for decorating

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by DixieDame67, Feb 28, 2009.

1. DixieDame67

DixieDame67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2008
    Jonesbourgh Tennessee
    I remember as a child somehow pin pricking an egg and blowing out the inside to make it hollow ...but i can't remember how exactly it's done .....i was wanting to decorate some hollow eggs for Easter any advice would be appreciated [​IMG]

2. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    I did this years ago - I think I put a pin prick in each end and then made the bottom a bit bigger so that when you blow on the top one it does not take forever to blow the contents out! Someone else may have done it more recently and have more advice. Good luck!

3. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    This is what I do..
    I pick a very small pin hole in the air sac end of the egg.. then poke a slightly larger hole, about the size of a pencil, in the pointy end of the egg.. then blow hard on the pin hole and the egg will empty out.. naturally, you can enlarge the big hole to make blowing easier.. better do your blowing in a sitting position because after about 3 eggs, you are going to get light headed.. [​IMG]

4. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Dont forget to shake the living snot out of the egg before you poke holes in it. It makes the contents come out easier.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2009
  5. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
  6. DixieDame67

DixieDame67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2008
    Jonesbourgh Tennessee
    WOW banter, thanks so much that is an awesome demonstration, and ty everyone else for the advice ....now im wondering what i can make a bellow out of hehee..... im off to the craft store excited ..... [​IMG]

7. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    You can buy those online at the pysanky supply sites-they are very inexpensive.

8. kirbypt

kirbypt Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2009
    Genesee Cnty, MI
    I use a large syringe from TSC or Farm Supply instead of the bellows.

9. bluie

bluie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    I just blew out my first green egg today so I could keep it, and/or show it off at work. I have a very skinny turkey skewer. I poke a hole in each end of the egg with the skewer, make one of the holes bigger, stick the skewer in and stir up the yolk, then blow it out into a bowl. I also run water inside the egg, shake it and blow out the water to rinse the inside of the egg.

10. jipjip

jipjip Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    New Zealand
    Hi
    Do you have any good ideas for decorating eggs once you have blown them? In the past I have used wax crayon and dye and would like any other good ideas. I am going to have quite a few egg shells. I wormed my chooks last week and the vet said not to eat the eggs for a week after each dose so I thought I would blow them and decorate them instead. After the two lots of wormer I will end up with about two dozen. Good thing Easter is not far away!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by