Need advice on candling green eggs!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by StephensonC, Dec 1, 2014.

1. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    I can't see a thing in there except for the air cell. I'm on day 8 and thought "possibly" I could see some veins, but not positive. Everything looks dark and it's fairly porous. I've tried using different light sources, but so far haven't had any luck. I plan on giving it more time, but I'm at a loss and not quite sure what else to try.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    The best thing you can do is get ahold of a small led flashlight with the highest lumens you can find. I picked one up at Walmart for less than $20 and that sucker can even see into marans eggs. It has no trouble at all with green eggs.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    X2 with Pyxis. A good led light is great. Also if you can make something that goes on the light so it makes a seal on the egg. I originally used a shampoo bottle with a hole cut out of the bottle for the egg to sit on and the torch pushed into the other end. That way all the light is directed into the egg. I use a Brinsea ova view candler now it has a little rubber ring on it and the egg sits on it or you can hold it on the egg and all the light goes straight into the egg. Also make sure the room you candle in is very dark I've found that really helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by