Need advice on caring for 3wk old pullet

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pixiedouglas, Mar 21, 2011.

1. pixiedouglas

pixiedouglas Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm trading my salmon faverolle rooster for a pullet tomorrow. I'll pick her up around 10:30ish am and not get her home until probably 3ish. I'm planning to put a little lovey in the box and a little food so she's not lonely. I'll offer her water a few times. I'm leaving her under my desk at work until I can leave for the day. Should I have a little heater near by to keep it warm, she'll be out from under the warming lamp for awhile and I'm worried about her getting cold. [​IMG] I'll make sure she doesn't have any drafts.

2. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    My 3 week old pullets are outside already during the day. In a grow out coop at night with a light.

3. pixiedouglas

pixiedouglas Chillin' With My Peeps

That's good to hear. It's pretty warm in my office, so hopefully she'll be ok. I'll have a thermo in with her so if she seems cold I can turn on a little space heater for a little bit.

4. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    I think she will be just fine. Congrats, that was a good trade.

5. Diamond Wire Farms

Diamond Wire Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Placerville, CA
    I'd be more worried about her peeping and announcing to the whole office that I had a chicken under my desk. I'd take a cat carrier or find some sort of mesh lid for your box or she'll be on the loose. If you are at all worried about heat you can fill a water bottle with warm water and place it in the box with her. It might help her snuggle down and nap, even if she's not cold. Good Luck. Congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by