need advice on coccidiosis!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Roooisin, May 8, 2011.

1. Roooisin

Roooisin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    i have 4 hens and one rooster. two of my hens are broody and have been sitting on eggs in the laying boxes of my coop for almost 2 and half weeks now, (the eggs are due to hatch thursday) and today i noticed one of the broodies was acting very, very strange. she came out of the coop for the first time in two days (as far as i'm aware) and she stood at the gate. she stood there for hours and when i came home she was all puffed out and asleep on the ground. she was very, very weak so we brought her over to her water and she drank a little water but didnt eat. she was very weak so we put her back into the laying box but it wasnt looking good. she died a couple of hours ago and i cant figure out why. her symptoms seem to match the symptoms of coccidiosis (according to several websites). i'm really worried that the other hens and the rooster will get coccidiosis, nut even more worried about the chicks which will hatch soon. can i use heavily dilued bleach to sterilise the whole coop to prevent it spreading? if not what do i do?? please help.. [​IMG] i'm desperate.. also, is it definitely coccidiosis?? how do i prevent the chicks and other hens from getting it??
    (sorry to ramble on but i needed to give as much information as possible)..

2. Hennypen

Hennypen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    IMO Cocci is a fact of life in chicken life. You need to treat the whole flock and then clean everything. Ambrol, Sulfasomething will get rid of it.

Go to first state vet supply and then "poultry" and health or something like that. There's a good article on how to treat it. Tractor supply may have stuff.

3. Aj1911

Aj1911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    could of been mites or lice

in 2 weeks they can bring a bird way down, i would treat for cocci with corrid and then dust them all.

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  4. Roooisin

Roooisin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    what do i dust them with? there are no visible mites/ticks on her.

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Coccidiosis is generally a disease of young, growing birds not adult birds. I would assume another cause for your hen's death if it were me. Having not seen or examined your bird I have no idea what the cause might have been but there are a number of other possibilities. If you haven't disposed of the body yet Cocci is easy to identify in a necropsy. Open the hen up & remove the intestine. Slit the intestine open & check the intestinal wall for lesions [open sores]. If lesions are present it was Cocci. If there are no lesions it was something else.
    As to the expected chicks, chicks raised on the ground by a hen just don't get Cocci. Raising them that way allows exposure from which they develope immunity. The organism that causes Coccidiosis is everywhere in the environment. If a wild bird has ever landed on your property there's the potential for Coccidiosis.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If you are in the US at least, the surest way to learn the cause is a state necropsy. You should have a state lab or state vet office you can contact. Your vet might be able to help find the right place to go if you have trouble. It might be a good idea to check this out and have the info you need ready for next time, should you lose another bird unexpectedly. I understand in some places this is inexpensive or even free.

For a full grown hen, if you have never wormed, that is one thing I would think of. Hopefully you can get your vet to do a fecal exam on one of your other birds even if he won't see chickens. Another good possibility, particularly if they are hatchery stock, is a problem such as internal laying or an ovarian tumor that involved the egg producing systems.

If you ever do see an outbreak of cocci, the birds will be hunched over as if they are cold and you will see mucousy, hamburgery looking poop, progressing to bloody. Ordinarily, chickens develop an immunity to cocci as they grow, so you do not see this in adults, as NYREDS said.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by