Need advice on collecting eggs, and ducks going broody

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LilDucky85, Dec 22, 2009.

1. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    So as I posted recently my ducks have started to lay! Now, I have no idea about collecting the eggs, or ducks brooding. Let me know everything you know about collecting your eggs, and ducks brooding. I need to know all the do's and dont's!

Here are a few questions...

1. Where I live its very cold, how long can I keep them out in the cold before they are no good to hatch?
    2. How soon can a female duck go broody after she lays her first eggs?
    3. Will another duck steal her eggs to sit on them? Another female seemed very interested in her eggs [as well as a few males]?
    4. Do ducks stay with their partners? While my girl was laying her egg a male stayed right by her side and wouldn't leave her. All the other ducks fled into their run when I opened the roof of their house but he stayed right by her side and kept an eye on what I was doing.
    5. I added a nesting box [milk crate with hay] because she was laying her eggs all over the duck house. I moved the eggs into the crate so she would get an idea. Will she get the idea of where to lay them now?

2. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    1. Usually if the mom starts incubating them within two weeks or so of the egg being laid it should stll be good.

2. She will build up a nest or at least a dozen - 15 depending on the breed, then she will start beuilding her nest up and broody the eggs.

3. It is not uncommon for another female to take over or share the nest if the female does not take a great interest in her own eggs. the other ducks might just be checking everything out thought o see why their friend is spending do much time in her nesting area.

4. I have a drake that used to sit in the front of the nesting box or right outside it "Guarding" his favorite girl as she brooded her eggs. SOme drakes are known to pick favorites and stay with one or two girls rather than going around the block.

5.She might and she might not, she should be able to find them and state laying there. Ive moved my Buff's nest a few times before if she was in a bad area and she alwas found the eggs. She might roll them to a better location though if she thinks your crate is ugly.

3. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    Thank you! So instinct will kick in when she is ready, and she will pretty much know what to do then? I didnt even think she realized she had laid eggs lol. Now that I think of it someone did try to roll a few eggs around. I cant remember who tried to move it though.

4. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    pretty much. all my girls but one have had the instinct.

5. 10ducks

10ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2009
    Dexter, Michigan
    I'm not an expert on brooding by any means, but I'm pretty sure that in weather this cold, the eggs won't develop unless they are brought into a warm place right away. My ducks pretty consistently lay during the night, and if I gather their eggs in the morning, they are fine (for eating), but if I wait until the evening they are at least partially frozen, and often they crack when I'm washing them. Maybe your set-up is warmer than mine, though. Anyway, good luck, and I'm sure people more expert than I will chime in soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by