need advice on conditioning pens

philipkrug

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 17, 2011
Remsen, IA
im going to be getting a few more breeds of bantams that i plan on showing next year. my problem is now that im getting more birds i need to build some more conditioning pens to get them ready for the shows. i dont have much more room in my shed to build many more pens. so i was wondering if anybody has built any small conditioning pens that were outside rather than set up inside a barn if its even possible. i live in northwest iowa so it does get fairly cold in the winter at times but it will be back somewhat sheltered in the grove. i was debating on building a group of cages with solid walls and a wire front and somehow attach plexiglass or something similar over the wire during the winter but im not sure if that will be enough protection. if anybody has any advice or pictures that would be great. i could always add on to the shed if i really need to.

Quote:
I will try to get you some pics. and a scaled drawing so it can be duplicated which means I will have to draw it and save as a Jpeg. but thats not that a big a deal. I have a six hole conditioning pen, it has two wide and three high, each being 24 wide and 30 deep, and 30 tall. I have two steps for a roost pole one at 2 inches for bantam and one at 6 inches for standards it keeps them from walking under the roost and messing up the tail, the rear is wire but can be covered with wood instead. Small cup feeders are attached at the rear and 1 ltr bottle waterers are used for water I love these they work great for finishing and show prep on most breeds and pullets.

that would be awesome if you could get me a drawing. how will they work in the winter. how cold do you get in oklahoma during the winter. we hit -20 at least once every winter and it can sure blow here too but i could always cover it with a clear plastic if i had to

that is my biggest concern is the health and safety of the birds. here there wont be one day above freezing for the entire month of january. highs in late december to early feburary is high teens to low 20s. im just not sure if i can make these weather proof enough and have a little ventilation and be safe for the birds. i think if i make it so the back can have a wooden door or make it sealed up on 3 sides and keep the closed end to the north it might be alright and than make another row with the opening facing them so they block the wind from eachother it might work

Back
Top Bottom