Need advice on coop for new Polands please

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by usamel, Aug 10, 2013.

1. usamel

usamel Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    Sheffield, England
    I have a lovely coop with two Pekins in it. They love it. They lay in the box, sleep indoors perfectly. Added two Poland's who don't seem to like it. Coop is big enough for 4. Poland's won't lay in boxes, don't like to climb ladders and um trying to build an addition they will use without wrecking the coop. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. They seem to stay ground level.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    How much crest do the polish have? They can be really leery of flying or jumping up on things if they can't see. By Pekins, you mean the bantam chicken, not the duck, right?

3. usamel

Aug 5, 2013
    Sheffield, England
    Yep, bantam Pekin chickens. The Polish have had a trim. They still don't like climbing the ramp or getting up to the next level in the garden. I have to pick them up and put them to he'd at night. I'm looking at a 3ft x 3 ft ground level extension for them that's just 6 inches above the ground so small ramp. They will free range during the day with the others and hopefully walk in to lay and sleep. One layed an egg on the garden today and a magpie ate it.

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Was just double checking to be sure the Pekins weren't ducks, have had chickens that were absolutely scared to death of ducks. How are the Pekins treating the Polish, do they bully or push them around in any way?
    If they seem to be getting along OK, can you lock them in that part of the coop for a day or two, or at least until later in the morning, when they should have laid eggs to get them used to it?.. or divide it so the Pekins still have a place to lay eggs and only lock up the polish? If not, maybe try and put the polish in the upper part of the coop a couple of times a day just to get them used to it. Do you feed them upstairs so they have to go up there to eat? What kind of a ramp or ladder are you talking about, can you make that easier for them to use before a adding a new addition?
    Polish for some reason seem to be lot harder than most chickens to talk into doing something new, if they aren't happy with what you have, building them something they like is probably easiest, but they do get used to new things eventually, they just tend to be slow about it.

5. usamel

Aug 5, 2013
    Sheffield, England
    Thank you so much for the great advice! The Pekins don't bully them at all, I think they just find them annoying and move away. The food upstairs sounds like a great idea! I'm re building the ramp and ill move food up there. They do love their food! One Poland lays in the morning and the other in late afternoon. There can be several hours of screaming and running beforehand. Hopefully, the ramp and food will do the trick!! Again, thanks so much!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by