Need advice on Coop

Eggie and Me

Songster
10 Years
Mar 9, 2009
Southern California
I'm not sure about finishing off the interior of our coop. Is it SAFE to paint the inside. I've noticed that so many are not painted. I would of course use water based primer and paint. Our total yard for the girls is 16' x 14' their coop is approx 24" off the ground with a compo of cement and dirt. The screen throughout including the top is 1/2" squared. we even wire lined the existing chainlink to hopefully keep any rats (
sad.png
) that may be hiding around. Thanks in advance for your assistance.....
bow.gif

You can use paint over the 2x4s and wall sheeting, or tack up some cheap luan and paint it as paneling.. Another great option is getting shower board/tile board at Lowes and screwing it in place.

I'm still debating on what to do with the walls in mine. For the floor, I'm using an oil based porch paint.

So long as the paint has enough drying time, oil based is not an issue and lasts sooooo much longer than latex.

Yes, it is safe for the inside of the coop to be painted. The chickens don't care but some people want the inside of the coop to look nice and that is understandable.

I don't think that is the question, though. I think your question is, "Is it safe to paint the inside of the coop when the chickens are inside". I personally would not. Birds have fairly sensitive respiratory systems. Miners keep canaries with them because the canary will die when the air is bad and warn the miners. If you can paint it, have it dry, and air it out well before the chickens went back in, you would probably be OK, but I would not risk it. I do not have a problem painting the outside of the coop with them around as long as there is nothing blocking the wind and there is a light breeze. It's the fumes trapped inside I'd be concerned about.

Quote:
41px-Smiley_green_alien_disapointed.svg.png

That'd be like painting a room in a daycare while 15 or so small children were in and running around.. Not only would it be bad for them, they'd end up covered in it..
hmm.png

Thank you for the input. The ? was meant is it safe? I would think NOT. I agree w/resp issues. The inside right now is just plywood and to me it looks natural. I will of course be wire brushing it on a regular basis..... Thank you again.

Safe with birds inside? If you had really good ventilation and used low odor latex paint, it probably wouldn't be the end of the world, but like someone said earlier, you'd end up with paint all over your birds... Sounds like a taffy pull to me.

If you paint it, it will be substantially easier to clean.... no wire brush necessary. The poo will wash right off with minimal scrubbing. If you decide to leave it wood, I'd probably at least seal/waterproof it. Just my $. 02

Back
Top Bottom