Need Advice on Crazy Roos

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Blue, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    I have 2 bantam roos (a cochin and a silkie, both around 6 months old) that I was planning to breed to my 3 bantam girls, but they're just too rough. I tried putting the silkie in with them when I finished their coop over the weekend, but he just chased them and pulled their feathers, though I did see him doing his little dance a couple times. My 3 little hens were all cowering in one corner of the lot. Then, he started pecking my blue cochin hen in the head, which was the last straw (she's my special baby girl, that one ^_^). He went back in the pen w/ his other rooster pal. I was a bit disappointed when I found out he was a rooster as for the longest time, we'd thought he was a hen; he still hasn't even crowed.

I've only let the white cochin out w/ them when they're free ranging in the yard, but usually instead of going after the bantam hens, he chases my 2 Buff Orpington girls relentlessly. Even after he catches one, he'll just keep chasing them over and over. He grabs their wings, necks, tails, anything he can get a hold of. They're so scared of him that they fly up on top of the coop to get away from him, and he follows them! I've had to retrieve one from behind the barrel we store the feed bags in. Once, I lost track of the one hen for around 30 minutes after the rooster had been out. I eventually found her hiding in a clump of bushes in a flower bed. After seeing how aggressive he is w/ those 2, I'm afraid to try him in my bantam coop! He even tried to pick a fight through the wire w/ one of our old laying hens who was out free ranging and walked by his coop. They were going at each other through the wire.

I have since stopped letting the 2 little roos out w/ the hens and mostly keep them in their own coop; they're just too rough. I was hoping to breed them and have some cute mixed up chicks, but my hens are terrified of them, so I don't think that's going to work. I'd hate to get rid of them, but if they don't calm down, I'm going to end up doing just that. I don't need roos that I'm afraid to put in w/ the hens, and I doubt I'll be able to keep them in a coop together indefinitely w/out a fight breaking out at some point.

Is there any way to get them to calm down around the hens? We have a big mixed breed rooster in with another flock, and he's extremely good to his girls. He calls them over for food, etc. When he chases a hen, he doesn't peck her or pull her feathers out, and if he can't catch her on the first try, then he just lets her go. These other 2 are crazy around the hens. I know they're young, but I'd think they would've calmed down at some point.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by