Need Advice on dusting my chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Roy Rooster, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Hi,

I am new to chickens and tried to dust my babies for the first time.

Background:
    - I have 13 hens
    - 1 rooster
    - they are 24 weeks old
    - All BO's
    - I am dusting with DE

Okay I tried to dust my babies today and ran into trouble.
    I have read that you hold them upside down and dust their tush
    and under the wings.

Ok...I held my birds upside down and they FREAKED!!! Upset the chicken I was dusting,
    the other started bawking loudly and the rooster got his tail feathers in a knot.

Anyway, I only got a few done because the flock was so hysterical so I had to quit. [​IMG]

My questions...Is there a better way to dust the bird that does not send everyone into a panic?
    I really do not want to upset my chickens this much.

Also, what is best to put in a dusting box for them to dust in? I was think DE and garden dust. Is that okay??

Thanks in Advance

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Do it at night. Pick them off the roost...but you still have to control the wings till they calm down.

3. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Quote:I thought about that, my problem is I do not have a walk in coop. My coop is elevated and rather hard to get some
    of the birds.

How would I keep track of who I dusted and who I have not?

My original plan was to take them from the pen one by one dust them and
    when finished let them free range in the back yard till I got everyone. That way
    I was sure to get everyone dusted.

I will keep that in mind though.

4. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

Doing them one by one is and putting each out to forage when done is perfect.

As far as holding them upside down, well I've seen this done but I have never suspended one of my birds by the legs.
    Instead I have a little oval bathmat that I place down on grass.
    I catch & cuddle a bird, and then while holding her wings to her body and her feet stable I slowly start to turn her until I am cradling her like a baby with my hands.
    (Hold your 2 hands out in front of you in the shape of a W with the thumb tips touching and the rest of your fingers close together, the legs go in the web of the thumbs and the fingers hold the wings tight to her body so she cannot flap ... don't worry about holding those wings like a football, better to keep her wings safe than have her loose & flapping)
    So she's in my hands and I slowwwlly place her on the mat on her back while using soothing sounding words.
    1st I dust the belly/vent area. Then I very slightly move a wing aside (not all the way, only an inch - just enough for dust to get in) then do the other wing. Then I let her get up herself or I right her if she's gotten too comfortable [​IMG]

5. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Quote:X2...I didn't mean I hold them by the feet. I actually put them in my lap on an old towel! LOL

6. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Quote:X2...I didn't mean I hold them by the feet. I actually put them in my lap on an old towel! LOL

Ok, thanks I like that way much better, I will try that tomorrow. I knew their had to be an easier way I was just not sure what it was.
    Tell me, is that also the best way to dust the roo's.

Thanks.

7. Chicos Mama

Chicos Mama Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2010
    Payson, Arizona
    I use Seven-Dust on all of my Chickens and White Peking ducks (available in any Walmart!)
    Make sure you dont buy the granuals...they think its feed! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I pour some in a plastic grocery bag, and place the duck or chicken inside with their head sticking out...holding gently around their necks...and...(((SHAKE)))!!! My hubby calls it "Shake & Bake"...without the Bake of course. [​IMG]
    I also sprinkle it around their coop and in their boxes for good measure!

I also use DE, but...I place a low box in their coop filled about half way full and they will go in it and give themselves a dust bath! Mine love it! I keep it available at all times for them and I just replace with fresh DE every few days or so
    Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by