Need advice on giving medication for 6 week old chicks please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DeAnna314, Jul 11, 2010.

1. DeAnna314

DeAnna314 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2010
    Fayetteville, NC
    I have 6 week old chicks inside at a stable temperature. I got them from 3 different locations within a week. At one-2 days: 2 bantam cochins and 2 frizzle cochins. At about a week old 3 wyandottes and 1 cochin/brahma mix. I had these all together for about 2 1/2 weeks then added 2 silkies that were about 2 weeks old at the time. They have all been together about 2-3 weeks.

Problem: I took them out to play in the outside fenced coop for an hour (observed) while my other birds were out playing. In the container I transported them in I noticed poo with blood in it. I also noticed one bird (the smallest bantam cochin) not playing. She seemed lethargic. I immediately separated her and started everyone on Sulmet. She is NOT the one with blood in her poo. On the second day of Sulmet the little cochin died.
    Also....I have newspaper in their area now so I can observe poo...no more blood on the third day of Sulmet.

Question:
    Now what? The Sulmet bottle says 2 days them half dose for 4 more days. I did not half the dose today because I can't tell who is drinking and want to make sure each bird gets enough medicine in their system. I also bought Wazine but have not used it. Should I? Should I put both in the water or one at a time?

Thank you!

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

We use Sulmet at a rate of 1 tablespoon per quart of water for 5 days. This will generally clear up any signs of cocci. As for the Wazine, that is a wormer which you shouldn't have to give them until they are at least a year old unless you live in an area very prone to worms. After the 5 days of Sulmet, the ones that have not returned to normal I would seperate out and watch for additional signs or symptoms for other ailments and treat accordingly.

3. DeAnna314

DeAnna314 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2010
    Fayetteville, NC
    OKay...thank you. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by