1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

need advice on GQF 1266 incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stickers, Mar 15, 2011.

1. stickers

stickers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Hudson
    I just bought an old used GQF and cant get the temp up high enough. I am not sure if it just needs a new thermostat but dont really want to spend the money on a thermostat if its a different problem. This model has an electric thermostat in front and a back up wafer in back. I already replaced the backup wafer. The directions say to adjust the temp with the wafer 1st to 102 but the pilot light keeps flickering after its been on for a while. The front thermostat does the same thing ( light flickering ) and I cant seem to get the temp much higher than low 90's. I checked all the wiring and it seems to be ok. The turner and fan are both working fine. Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I can help you if you want me to..

First.you have to turn the solid state therm all the way to high..

Now adjust the wafer to 100,5F to 101F

once the light is flickering and the temp is holding steady,
    adjust the solid state to 99.5F ..

If the indicator light is on itmeans that the heating element is on.. when the light goes off it means that you are at the temp setting what ever it is reading on the thermometer..

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  3. stickers

Jun 14, 2010
    Hudson
    Thanks I will give it a try. So far I have it up to 94.1. Will check it again when I get off work. The light still flickering though.

4. stickers

Jun 14, 2010
    Hudson
    Holding steady at 99.5-100, thanks for the help!

5. jvls1942

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:Let the games begin !!!!

I got my first guinea egg of this season, today.. Last weekend I hatched 30 chickens,, 12 americauna and the rest egg layer crosses.. this weekend I HAve about 5 dozen more egg layer crosses due.. and in about 2 weeks I have five dozen Javas due.
    and about the same time I have 5 goose eggs and 8 royal palm turkeys due , and about 8 muscovy ducks.. I am waiting for 8 dozen more java eggs and 8 dozen delaware eggs from a friend.

I have 3 sportsmans..
    so far I am keeping up with one bator.. I am using one bator for a hatcher and I have another one to set up in case the eggs come too fast and furious..

I have figured a way to double stack the eggs so that I can get an extra 16 dozen in each one of the two bators..

good luck with your hatches..

6. heathersboers

heathersboers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    wilson
    Our 1202 did the exact same thing!!! It was fine in about 5 hours and it works great!!! Happy Hatching- you will have it full soon -trust me- More room=more eggs!!![​IMG]

7. stickers

Jun 14, 2010
    Hudson
    Quote:Yes more room, that's what I am worried about! I guess you can never have too many chickens. Filled up the 1st tray today and plan to do add one tray a week. Have to pick up the hatcher next week. Thanks again for the help jvls1942. Just out of curiosity do most people use the seperate hatcher or hatch in the incubator?

8. jvls1942

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:Yes more room, that's what I am worried about! I guess you can never have too many chickens. Filled up the 1st tray today and plan to do add one tray a week. Have to pick up the hatcher next week. Thanks again for the help jvls1942. Just out of curiosity do most people use the seperate hatcher or hatch in the incubator?

I do not know what the majority do.. I would suspect that most people have only one unit and use that to also hatch the eggs.. I have done that many times.. I like the separate hatcher because I might have 25 different hatch dates and it is just much easier to just take them out of the incubator and transfer them to the hatcher.. It also keeps the incubator cleaner..

one model of GQF has 3 turning trays and a bottom tray that is the hatcher tray.. I have one like that and that is the one I am using as a hatcher..

the space between the turning trays is about 5 inches,, In the other bators the space is about 8 inches.. Thus the extra space for stacking turning trays..

9. stickers

Jun 14, 2010
    Hudson
    Interesting. Mine was an emu incubator so it only has the 3 trays and no room on bottom unless I move the 3 trays closer together but I think I will use a seperate hatcher to keep things easier.

10. jvls1942

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    when I got one of mine it had only 2 turners.. the guy sed it for Ostrich eggs.. He sent along the 3rd tray which I installed..

I use rigid egg holders that I bought from
    www.CutlerSupply.com these holders will hold medium sized chicken eggs for double stacking.. the extra large eggs cannot be stacked. I use 10 each of the TR50 holders in each of my two bators.. that gives me 480 eggs per incubator.. I do a lot of custom hatching, and my guineas give me a bator full of eggs each year.. the TR50 are $4.30/each they can be used without the metal trays..

I have some of the TR 20,TR30 and TR36 trays, but I hardly use them.. they are not rigid plastic and they sag when they get warm in the bator.. you have to use the metal trays with this style of holders.. I use them only for goose eggs..

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by