Need advice on hatch assistance!

Brooks79

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 23, 2014
Hello,
I'm wondering if someone can help me determine if it's time to assist my little chick with hatching? I've read all the articles I can find & am worried by the warnings to not rush the process. We don't have our eggs in an incubator, they're all under a broody hen out in the coop. Yesterday, when I went to gather eggs, I heard peeping coming from the eggs but none were cracked. This was about 1pm. I noticed the first egg pipped around 8pm & the chicks beak showing through the hole chirping. The egg was not intact as I expected, but had multiple cracks all over with the chicks bottom & leg protruding from the opposite end. It does not look like it could possibly "zip" like I've read about. We checked it for the final time at 11pm & it still appeared active & chirping. This morning when I checked at 7am it is still alive, however, no longer chirping & there is minimal movement. I can still see the beak through the hole & it taking little breaths though. Its body that is poking through the shell is also fuzzy looking, not wet. This is my first hatch & Im just not sure how to proceed! Can anyone help? Thank you!

Leanna

Today is day 21. I'm concerned about my chick not zipping right and wondering if it is in the right position. I have 11 shipped silkie eggs many of which have weird air cells. This one's seemed to be ok. It pipped at 12noon. It didn't start to really break the shell until 6pm but it isn't zipping all around. It is just making a wider opening around the pip. How long should I wait? It is chirping and seems active so far but it is concerning me that it isn't zipping right.It is zipping around the middle of the shell and has a piece of shell stuck to it's beak.
Here is a picture.
is the air cell pencil mark from day 14? it is helpful to pencil the air cell closer to hatch (maybe d18) as well, that way you know where the air cell begins. it can be an issue if they pip below the air cell, since they are supposed to pip into the air cell first.

when they pip into the air cell, they will rest for 12-24 hours and acclimate their lungs, slowly chirping louder and louder as they do. once they take their first breath, the process of sucking in the veins and yolk begins. this process does not start until they breathe air, until then, they receive oxygen from the veins.

only after about 12-24 hours do they externally pip, after absorbing all the yolk and the veins. externally pipping is exhausting, they have to bang their head so many times! they usually take another 12+hr rest at this point. THEN they begin to zip. zip can take 20 minutes or 12 hours. as long as there is no sudden humidity drop (opening the incubator), they shouldn't get glued or stuck.

from the photo, it does look like the zip is progressing, to me. I can see that it started at the top of the opening and is inching downward. I would give it more time, the membrane does not look dried out to me. I would not intervene until 12hrs from when it started to zip, 6am tomorrow at the very least and only if the membrane looks dry and yellow.
there is nothing worse than a chick hatching too early.

Last edited:
Just an update....I went ahead & assisted the chick because half it's little body was out already & the lining was drying out. We took it slow with the chick struggling to free its self as well. All went beautifully & the chick seems to be doing well! There's still I little umbilical like string attached, but it doesn't seem to be bothering the little thing. I think this was the right choice.

Just an update....I went ahead & assisted the chick because half it's little body was out already & the lining was drying out. We took it slow with the chick struggling to free its self as well. All went beautifully & the chick seems to be doing well! There's still I little umbilical like string attached, but it doesn't seem to be bothering the little thing. I think this was the right choice.

If the legs and body were already out but not the head, then you did right to help. I would have done the same thing.
Sounds like it just got stuck to the top of the shell. Congrats on a successful assisted hatch.
smile.png

Today is day 21. I'm concerned about my chick not zipping right and wondering if it is in the right position. I have 11 shipped silkie eggs many of which have weird air cells. This one's seemed to be ok. It pipped at 12noon. It didn't start to really break the shell until 6pm but it isn't zipping all around. It is just making a wider opening around the pip. How long should I wait? It is chirping and seems active so far but it is concerning me that it isn't zipping right.It is zipping around the middle of the shell and has a piece of shell stuck to it's beak. Here is a picture.

good job! glad that went well. you can put a dab of neosporin (generic brand antibiotic ointment is ok, NO pain reliever) on the navel to keep it sanitary if you like. congrats!
clap.gif

I appreciate your help. That is very interesting. Now since you mentioned it, it does look like it started its pip at the top which would be the right spot. I can see that. I guess I just got too worried. It seems to be progressing now. Thanks a bunch!

no problem, keep me updated please! it is such a stressful time, I know exactly how you feel I have been there before! I usually start cleaning everything in the house so I can keep my mind off it

Thank you for your responses, they were encouraging & reassuring! The little chick is still doing wonderfully! He/she is all soft & fuzzy now & nestled warmly back under mama hens wing. When I had placed it back in the nest it still had the umbilical like attachment, but it has since dropped off somewhere unknown. There are still about 8 more eggs in the nest that have yet to show any little beaks peaking through. Hopefully we'll find more making their grand appearance tomorrow! Thanks again! :jumpy

Back
Top Bottom