Need advice on hatching please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by eestep8, Apr 7, 2009.

1. eestep8

eestep8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Hello
    I set my eggs on March 15 at 11 pm. I turned for the last time and candled on april 2 at 10pm. At that time I left in all the moving embryos. So far 1 hatched in the AM on Sat, 5 more in the AM on Sun, and 1 in the AM on Mon. There are 10 eggs left. Should I candle them to see whats going on? If so when?
    Thanks

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    What i do, if it's been a couple days after others have hatched, i take out each egg, tap it gently with my finger nail and chirp at it. Most of the time if there is a live chick inside it will chirp back. If you have a live one, you may need to help it out.

3. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    you can candle 10 days from set day.

4. Panther Creek Poultry

Panther Creek Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Clarksburg, MO
    If it were me I would carefully candle them trying not to turn them much from their position in the bator.

5. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Candling will often not reveal if the chick is alive at that late date. They do sleep or rest during the process. Were all your eggs set at the same time? If so, you can easily see if they have pipped the internal membrane. Usually you see the beak poking up into the air cell. Tapping on the egg will tell if they are working on getting out. You can also usually hear peeping. My guess is, the rest of the eggs may not hatch if they were set at the same time. I usually only wait 4 days at the most before giving up on the stragglers. Do check as best as you can before deciding they are not viable.

6. eestep8

Feb 15, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Thanks for your advice. I will candle them all tonight. I am really sad, that something could go wrong in only a few days. I thought for sure I'd have 17 heathy chicks. The good news is that the 7 that did hatch though are doing great.

7. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Please don't feel bad. i have had chicks go full term and then not make it. Just happened recently. i thought i did everything right. But there are so many variables. Glad you got 7 healthy happy babies.

8. eestep8

Feb 15, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Well we candled them all and nothing moved and the eggs were basically a dark shapeless mass filling the egg. What could have killed them within a few days? I know this questions been asked a million times.

9. Scraps

Scraps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    End of a dirt road...
    How was your humidity and temp the last few days? Did it stay steady?

10. eestep8

Feb 15, 2009
    SW Ohio
    The temp staying between 100 and 102. The humidty stayed in the 50's the last 3 days but it did go up and down a few %

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by