Need advice on hatching!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cejones119, Mar 16, 2011.

1. cejones119

cejones119 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2010
    I have 9 call duck eggs incubating at the moment. Today is day 26. I've been candling to check for internal pips but haven't seen any. However, some of the eggs have seriously decreased blood vesseling or none at all but are still moving. Do you think I should help them out and pip above the airsac for them. I'm just worried about lack of oxygen if they are losing their blood supply. Any help would be great, thanks!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  2. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

How do you know they have decreased blood vessels if the eggs are in tact if they havent pipped. Sorry, ive just woke up, mind isnt all here yet.

3. Badbaby05

Badbaby05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    If they are moving LEAVE THEM ALONE lol. It's hard, sit on ur hands, go for a walk...do something.

4. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    i would be worried if they dont have internal pips yet. my calls all internally pip on day 21-23. and hatch day 24-26. if you hold the egg to your ear do you hear tapping? i touch the egg to my ear sometime it is easier to feel it then to hear it. i also tap egg when it is touching my ear they will tap back if internally pipped.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  5. cejones119

Apr 4, 2010
    I candled to check for internal pips, that's when I saw the decreased blood vesseling. If they were chickens I would be leaving them alone. I don't hear or feel any tapping though.

6. cejones119

Apr 4, 2010
    I don't know, I'm so torn about this. I'm really not into helping anyone out, but it's tough with the calls because of their little rounded beaks. It's not their fault we bred them that way... Any other opinions would be greatly welcomed.

7. critterranch

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    if they aren't internally pipped it is very hard to help them. i dont help unless they internally pip and tapping. were they shipped eggs? or first ones of the season?
    i usually can't get good results from the first 2 weeks of my calls laying. but on the other hand i can hatch a silkie pullet egg.

8. cejones119

Apr 4, 2010
    They weren't shipped. I'm hatching for a friend. They're his ducks second batch of the season. I tried with the first but they weren't fertile. I have their third batch in another incubator too, those are 10 days behind these ones. The person I'm hatching for did say that he's never had them hatch before day 28, so maybe he just has strange ducks.

9. critterranch

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    maybe there is still hope then. everyones calls are different a friend of mine has calls hers always hatch on day 27. they can vary. just hope for best at this point.
    it may be just early yet that would be my best guess.

how many were in your first batch that were clear? and hope many females are these eggs from.?

when i said my first 2 weeks of laying for my 2 females. i had 28 eggs my first 2 weeks. they started fast and full force. all 28 were not fertile i had a few fertile but didn't make it past 10 days.

my hatch results have improved once i got past the first 32 eggs. now things have been alot better. but once again not everyones calls are the same.

10. cejones119

Apr 4, 2010
    The first batch I think I had 19 eggs, can't remember exactly. None of those were fertile. There has been excellent fertility since then. This time I got 11, I have 9 left, the other two were both fertile though, just didn't make it. The other younger batch I have I had 10 and lost 3, one was not fertile, the other two died. I'm not sure how many different ducks these are coming from though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by