Need advice on hens laying in high places...trees, tarps, etc.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CAranchgirl, May 8, 2009.

1. CAranchgirl

CAranchgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2009
    I seem to have a string of hens that like to lay eggs up high! I have had two go broody in these very dangerous places for chicks. One was in a palm tree, about 9 feet high. The other brooded on top of our peacock aviary, about 12 feet high! and hatched two babies! We managed to move her down with a very high ladder and the babies were fine, but we might not be so lucky next time!

Now I have a hen who is laying eggs on top of a tarp in the peacock aviary. They often fall down before I can get them and then everybody eats the cracked egg. And all these hens are different breeds! Any advice on why this happens? Is this natural for hens to prefer higher places? I know that nest boxes are generally made off the ground, and mine are about 3 feet high. Thanks so much for any help!!

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Sounds like it's time to lock them in the hen house for a few days with golf balls in the nesting boxes to teach them where to lay. Repeat as necesasry until they learn their lesson.

3. CAranchgirl

CAranchgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2009
    Hmm...well I already keep decoy eggs in the nest boxes and my other hens don't have a problem using them.

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I think they key here is to give them no other options until they are in the habit of laying in an accessible (for you) spot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by