Need advice on her feet please.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bloom chicks, Mar 28, 2012.

1. bloom chicks

bloom chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    I was away for a few day and when I came home her feet were like this. My husband watched the babies and he noticed it on Sunday... I soaked her feet in salt water and put antibotics on them and she is in my bathtub now. They free range. The black spot is from dirt. I have also put peroxide on them as well. It looks like cuts. She is the only one with it. Any help, suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  2. bloom chicks

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    Is it something I should be concerned about?

3. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    First, you need to clean off the dirt completely. Use a soft brush if you need to. Then would you mind posting new pictures? An up close of the worst foot would be good. Coat her cuts with neosporin for now. Any idea how these happened?

4. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    Looks like bumble foot to me. if you could post a picture of the bottom of her feet it would be helpfull.

5. bloom chicks

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    I can post another tomorrow. I looked up bumble foot and she doesn't have it. The bottom of her feet are fine. It is between her toes, where the webbed part is. I don't have a clue what happened. None of the other chickens have it. I was away for a few days when I returned home I noticed it. My husband noticed it on Sunday.

6. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Do you have any wire that she could have cut her feet on? It almost looks like she could have run into the wire between her toes if something panicked her.

Do post another picture.

Sharol

7. bloom chicks

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    My husband and I were just talking and we think that it might be from our broody mama. They have been fighting. Could that be what happened?

8. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

I was thinking she cut them on something...

My broody mamas don't go after the feet of other hens... They go for necks...

9. joan1708

joan1708 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    I agree. Those feet need to be washed with soap and water for a solid 3-5 minutes. It will wash away bacteria and promote blood circulation and healing. In people hydrogen peroxide is not used as much anymore because it damages healthy tissue as well as diseased tissue.

10. bloom chicks

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    I did soak her feet again today and used the brush like suggested and the one foot still has the black on there.When I did there was a little blood. My husband said it might be a scab. I will try to get another picture. I did put more antibotic this morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by