Need Advice on how much to charge for construction work

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickenzoo, Jul 15, 2010.

1. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I am redoing some T1 -11 siding on a house with 2 bay windows to make extra money. It is about 50 feet total of t1-11 we pulled out down the back and up the side of the house that rotted from water damage, replaced a door and replaced studs etc. that were rotten. The siding was nailed up under the soffit, so we had to cut it off with a saw length wise - fun fun..... the bay windows were a nightmare trying to fix all the odd angles from the previse do it yourselfer.. LOL I did the demo work too etc still have to paint it.. they bought all the stuff. How much would you expect to pay for someone to fix your house? They said they rather give us the money than a contractor but I don't know what to charge them?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  2. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Figure out the cost of supplies - - - then add 30 - 50 % to the cost.

Next, esitmate hour many hours it will take you to do this job. Don't estimate low because it will probably take a little longer than you are expecting.

Now, what do you want to charge per hour to do this ? Are you licensed ? Are you gauranteeing your work ? ? Are you insured ? ? ?
    Are you very experienced in this task - - have you done this work for years? These are all expenses that a typical contractor has to add into their hourly rate.

I would call a couple of contractors in the local area and see what their hourly rate is. If the answer to the above questions is no - - I would charge an hourly rate that is 1/2 a licensed contractor.

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

No I'm not a professional, I've just done a lot of my own remodeling. I am almost done with the project, just have to paint and finish trim work, reinstall new light fixtures etc. It is for a family member and they rather pay me and not have to deal with a stranger working on their house and know I am in need of funding, LOL. I have never been good at pricing things etc...

4. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Your family will be getting a GREAT deal if you are charging 1/2 the hourly rate of a professional contractor. Hypothetically, you will take a little longer than a professional contractor, but the discounted hourly rate should make up for that. [​IMG]

I need to find somebody in our area who does concrete work - - - wish me luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by