Need advice on incubating duck eggs!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bellah1, Feb 15, 2013.

1. bellah1

bellah1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2012
    Western Washington
    So I'm getting some duck eggs in the mail in a couple days & I heard u are suppose to let shipped eggs sit for like 24 hours blunt end up turning 3x a day to let the air sac settle, is that correct? What is a good temp and humidity for duck eggs in a still air? Everywhere is a little different but it seems to be about 101 & 55% is that right til the last 5 days humidity goes up to about 75%? Last question...I got a still air hovabator 1602 and was wondering if it comes with something to measure the humidity or if I need to get a hydrometer? And what's the best kind of thermometer to use for the second one? Sorry for the massive amount of questions but any help would be awesome!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  2. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    Duck eggs should be incubated at 99.5 not 101. Humidity at 55% is correct. The last 3 days the temp should be 99 with humidity at 68 to 80% I've always hatched Duck eggs at the same temperature & humidity as chicken eggs & never had a problem. Mine were Call Ducks & Mallards. Mallards practically hatch themselves.
    Yes, its best to let the eggs stabilize for at least 24 hours before setting, BUT I would take into consideration how long it took in the mail. If the eggs aren't any older than 10 days from the time of hatch, you have the time, but if its more than 10 days I'd only let them set for 12 hours.
    A hydrometer is very helpful in keeping humidity levels correct. Just remember, in a still air incubator readings should be taken at a level 1/2 way up on the egg. In a still air the heat & humidity is layered, warmer at the top, cooler at the bottom, so you want your readings coming from the same level as the eggs

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  3. bellah1

bellah1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2012
    Western Washington
    Thanks so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by