Need advice on incubation problems!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Erick Wright, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Erick Wright

Erick Wright New Egg

Dec 31, 2011
    Manitou Springs Colorado
    Hello everyone. I'm new at chickens but have been around exotic birds all my life (46 years). Here's my problem. I've had 2 groups of eggs not hatch. First group only 1 chick lived 4 days. I live in Colorado at 6400 Ft with only 10% humidity and tried to hatch in October and November. What I have is a sterilized Hova-bator model 1602N with automatic egg turner( borrowed and sterilized with bleach, hot water and 3 days sunshine to air out any residual), and a electronic probe thermostat with humidity readout. I've kept the internal probed on top center of eggs with a temp of 101F and a constant 60% humidity. The temperature never exceeded 102F nor dropped below 99F and humidity stayed constant. Tried 2 batches of eggs of different breeds of chickens, one from my chickens and one from a friend 8 miles away with 50 years experience with chickens who has never had this situation happen (his incubator that was using to hatch quail). The eggs reach approximately 14 days and die. Anyone have any idea what is occurring?

2. Cooper Farms

Cooper Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    new sharon ia
    lower humidity i had same prob and after reading the info about little to no water in my home made incubator i now get around 98% hatch of fert eggs i keep mine at about 20% untill 18days then 60%

3. Erick Wright

Erick Wright New Egg

Dec 31, 2011
    Manitou Springs Colorado
    Interesting on the humidity level. I have read 2 different books by different authors that state the humidity level in a still air incubator should be 55% for the first 18 days then raise level to 70-80%. I do plan on buying a better incubator soon.

4. Erick Wright

Erick Wright New Egg

Dec 31, 2011
    Manitou Springs Colorado
    Appreciate the feedback. Will give that a try.

5. Cooper Farms

Cooper Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    new sharon ia
    good luck!! do the eggs look like there doing good till 14days. like moving and all that

6. Erick Wright

Erick Wright New Egg

Dec 31, 2011
    Manitou Springs Colorado
    Doing great to the point of being about the size of a Lima bean and then stops. I just called the manufacturer of this still air incubator and I was just told that the specs are 99-100F and 85% humidity for the first 18 days then 95% for the last 3 days. Seems really high to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by