need advice on indoor vs outdoor pet ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by s dinaldi, Aug 11, 2014.

1. s dinaldi

s dinaldi New Egg

Jun 15, 2014
    Hi all, hoping for some good advice/ thoughts/ actual 1st hand knowledge on having an indoor duck as a pet (diapered etc) and the flip side of having them outside...originally wanted just 1 indoor duck that would be with me almost 24/7 ...it looks like iI will need to get 2 at a time (as that is the smallest amount they will ship) would really like to find someone who has done it both ways and talk to u in depth about pros and cons of each...thanks!

2. AllisonB

AllisonB Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    Northeast U.S.A
    I can only really share my indoor duck story... a love story, and a labor of love story. It was a lot of work -- diapers were not really available at the time, and the indoor cage required an incredible amount of care (for 6 years). We did not have a suitable outdoor space. But worth it. I believe you can have the best of both worlds if you have them from ducklings. If I were to do it all over again I would raise the baby indoors and transition to outdoors during the day. We used to bring our duck on the bed to watch TV with us -- using an adult "underpad" and our "duck towels" -- he used to hug us all the time!!! We tried to limit use of pads as they are not great for the environment, but it was hard. We used a laundry basket and he would sleep under my desk while I worked... a real joy. Unless I had a suitable outdoor space for day use, I would not raise a duck indoors again. It was just too much for my two-working adult family.

But do not overlook the idea of adopting a duck! Many abandoned ducks are looking for good homes. Many are imprinted on humans and very cuddly. Good luck.

3. s dinaldi

s dinaldi New Egg

Jun 15, 2014
    how did your ducky do during the day? or whenever u were not home w him??..my little ducky was w/ me 24/7 and would freak if i left him even for a few min.(he just died last Sunday and I'm totally heart broken) I had a merganser I got at 2 Days old and had him for 9wks..I was so completely in love w this little thing...he was literally within a few feet from me the entire 9wks...slept w me, went to work w me and anywhere in betwwen...he was a diver so we wld go kayaking a couple times a wk and he wld follow w me swimming and diving then hop up on the back when he wanted to rest...best little friendI ever had,I'm heart broken and am trying to decide 1 or 2 ducks/what kind (runners i think) and how to proceed w raising them...indoor or out , or how could I have then come in sometimes and stay out sometimes...I don't know if they are all such little loves or if my last duck was a fluke...I don't want to get stuck w one that doesn't want to spend time w people...beebs was very social loved attention from anyone and loved playing w my niece and nephew 6 and8 years old..

4. AllisonB

AllisonB Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    Northeast U.S.A
    I'm so sorry. I understand, it is so hard. Few people get to have the wonderful experience you had. I always say, if it weren't for the poop, everyone would have a duck. Well, I think all that attention you gave it, helped make it the little friend it was. Of the two ducks we've been close to, we gave them a lot of affection and got it in return. We are talking sitting on lap, falling asleep next too, and hugging. The duck we had for 6 years had to be alone during he day - but his indoor pen was spacious and we let him swim in the tub every day. Fortunately for that lucky duck he got to "vacation" on the shores of Lake Ontario during the summer (my husband is a school teacher and had time off). So he got to experience another outdoor life. Swimming along side us too! But believe me, I've dreamed of an "indoor/ outdoor" room for my house that could keep a duck happy and the clean up work easier. Something with a drain! Two ducks will be a lot of cleaning. I really think you can make it work though if you find balance indoor and out. We had white Pekins and they are so cuddly and ours loved to swim. If you are going to get a duckling, I'd wait to find out the sex before getting another - and get some advice on what to get (from someone more knowledgeable than me :)) . You can't tell the sex of a duck for a while, so... I'd love to hear how things work out, please keep me posted. Can I ask what state you are in?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by