Need advice on introducing chicks to foster mama

nettysyke

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 11, 2014
Hi all- I have a bantam hen who easily adopted 2 chicks that I introduced to her about a week ago. Yesterday, I brought home 2 more, and she pecks at their necks, even letting them off the ground when she does so. They slept with her last night, which I hoped was a sign that she'd accepted them, but I'm not sure she actually took them under her wing. Any advice here? I'd love for her to actually adopt them, but at this point, I'm ready to move them out into a brooder for their safety.

I'd watch her.Broodies adopt eggs and chicks.You should be fine,but first clarify she's at least kepping them warm.

Hi all- I have a bantam hen who easily adopted 2 chicks that I introduced to her about a week ago. Yesterday, I brought home 2 more, and she pecks at their necks, even letting them off the ground when she does so. They slept with her last night, which I hoped was a sign that she'd accepted them, but I'm not sure she actually took them under her wing. Any advice here? I'd love for her to actually adopt them, but at this point, I'm ready to move them out into a brooder for their safety.
welcome-byc.gif

A hen with week old chicks adopting day old chicks is not unheard of but it is rare. Keep us informed.

Back
Top Bottom