Need advice on leg splint

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by seminolewind, Jan 24, 2010.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    My hospital hen has a leg break below the first joint (tibia?) . Do I have to bandage over the joint?

2. Rocky Top Chick

Rocky Top Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    We have a chicken with a broken leg, same break as you. We did bandage first just to support the break and then put popcicle sticks over that and wrapped it up. Now her foot is developing water blisters so we are also treating those...................

3. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Here's an update of my patient, Fern. She climbed out of this one, so I'm experimenting now

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  4. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    Thanks for the update, Fern is such a cute little trooper!!

I'm curious to see how you figure out how to keep her in the sling. My DH and myself were talking about building one for our pullet without a foot.

5. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    SpeckledHen has a roo named Zane who spends time in a bowling ball sling tied on a pole. I think I'll try that.

Fern got out of this sling. Today I did another one out of one of those things that holds babies in the bath, and I wrapped her wings, and she still got out. I put her back, then she squawked nonstop, so I had to take her out. Sheesh, Maybe I'll crazy glue her fluffy butt in there!

6. hen-thusiast

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    I'm not a bowler and can't really find a good picture of a bowling ball sling online and therefore, can't seem to visualize how you'd put a chicken in there. Do you happen to know if there is a picture on here of Zane in it? Otherwise, maybe I'll PM Cynthia. I'm really curious.

(I know chickenzoo has posted specs on here of a type of sling that was created for a disabled goose, but I think Fern might get out of that too.)

7. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
  8. hen-thusiast

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    Thank you for providing the link with those pictures of Zane!

I think we'll definitely have to try one out. She's trying so hard to learn how to walk without a foot, but as you can imagine she struggles now and then. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by