Need advice on lockdown

Fisherlmiranda

Songster
Feb 25, 2018
Morrow, Ohio
I'm seeking advice on whether I should leave my eggs up right in the turner with the turner off or if I should take out the Turner and lay them on there side for lockdown. Normally I'd take out the turner. But this is my first shipping eggs experience and all of the air sacks have saddled or reattched on the side of the egg. Any advice you all could give me on how to make it easier on these chicks would be appreciated. And what to watch out for. These are opal legbar chicken eggs. Heres a picture of one of the side air sacks so you can see how bad it is. I'm afraid they wont be able to find the right position and wont make it out of the shell. That would be awful because they have made it this long.
Screenshot_20200517-133902_Messages.jpg

I'm seeking advice on whether I should leave my eggs up right in the turner with the turner off or if I should take out the Turner and lay them on there side for lockdown. Normally I'd take out the turner. But this is my first shipping eggs experience and all of the air sacks have saddled or reattched on the side of the egg. Any advice you all could give me on how to make it easier on these chicks would be appreciated. And what to watch out for. These are opal legbar chicken eggs. Heres a picture of one of the side air sacks so you can see how bad it is. I'm afraid they wont be able to find the right position and wont make it out of the shell. That would be awful because they have made it this long. View attachment 2160813
You can do it upright in the turner or on their sides with the turner removed. I have done both ways, either can work.

@007Sean I believe has a preference for upright in the shut off turner.

I'm seeking advice on whether I should leave my eggs up right in the turner with the turner off or if I should take out the Turner and lay them on there side for lockdown. Normally I'd take out the turner. But this is my first shipping eggs experience and all of the air sacks have saddled or reattched on the side of the egg. Any advice you all could give me on how to make it easier on these chicks would be appreciated. And what to watch out for. These are opal legbar chicken eggs. Heres a picture of one of the side air sacks so you can see how bad it is. I'm afraid they wont be able to find the right position and wont make it out of the shell. That would be awful because they have made it this long. View attachment 2160813
I don't know. I've never hatched eggs with that bad of air cells. Opal legbars though :drool :love
I'll tag @WVduckchick for you, maybe she can help. Good luck with your babies!

Will they drown if they miss the air cell? Is there any kind of extra problems I should encounter with the air cells on the side like that.

its really hard to guess. Best bet is if you don’t see much clear fluid anywhere. They will have a better chance of not drowning.

Hatch Update: all 5 eggs have pipped! And one of them has started zipping already! So excited! 2 pipped on wrong end, but going to wait and see how they do... remember, these had some crazy air cells. So I will be staring at my Bator all day! Thank God it’s Saturday!!! 2EE978F5-1376-4C8F-822A-90B4877A3DB3.jpeg 9E612FC8-1887-4D73-A67B-1E677AFA1678.jpeg

yes, that is the one thing I keep checking. Like every 15 mins ALL day! Lol. I have my little flashlight looking all over the eggs for pips. I like how you can view the eggs so well in the Brinsea Mini. I feel like I can see the eggs better than If they were in a cut down carton. So I will let you guys know how it turns out. I can’t control my excitement!

Back
Top Bottom