Need advice on moving with my chickens — SoCal to Seattle

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by EIEIO_farm, Jan 9, 2019.

1. EIEIO_farm

EIEIO_farm Chirping

Jun 3, 2018
    Hi.
    I’m planning on moving from Southern California to Seattle in the next couple months. I have 10 chickens that are pets and I need to figure out how to transport them safely to Washington. I will also be traveling with two small children. The road trip, which I have done a few times is a two 3 day/2 night trip.
    I will definitely need to stay in a hotel for 2 nights because of my kids. I was thinking I could rent a u-haul maybe and let the chickens run around in there while we’re at the hotel, then put them in crates during the drive?
    Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Abriana and penny1960 like this.
  2. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    The first thing that you need to do is to contact the State Agricultural Department in Washington (State Veterinarian) and find out what tests and paperwork that you need to have done on your chickens in order to legally bring them into the state of Washington. All states have import regulations for all birds and animals which includes pets. Your pet chickens will fall under their poultry import regulations.

3. EIEIO_farm

EIEIO_farm Chirping

Jun 3, 2018
    Thank you!!! I had no idea about that. I will definitely contact them! :)

4. EIEIO_farm

EIEIO_farm Chirping

Jun 3, 2018
    I meant it is a 3 day, 2 night (in hotel) trip **

casportpony and townchicks like this.
  5. ShannonR

ShannonR Songster

Sep 17, 2015
    You should be able to just crate them during the trip. Folks do it all the time for shows and such, the birds are sometimes crated and caged for days on end.

Couple of tips for long distance travel with birds:
    I like to attach feed and water to the sides of their carriers for the trip.

Starting about a day before the trip, I give them Pedialyte to help them stay hydrated.

Travelling with the birds in a darkened area might be a little less stressful on the birds, but be sure to give them some light and opportunity to eat and drink periodically on the way!

Riding with birds in the cabin of your car or SUV is a highly fragrant experience if you are going very far. Not my first choice.

Good luck!

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    The actual trip should be fine, with the birds in one or two big dog crates as already mentioned.
    Do deal with the any required testing, etc, early enough so that it's all done on time!
    Mary

7. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
  8. Amatsuhono

Amatsuhono Chirping

Oct 30, 2018
    San Benito, TX
    Second, contacting state vet. Try to make contact with the state animal health vet in home state, states you might be passing through, and new home state. Not all states require the same health paperwork. Also might want to check with the California Animal Health Commission about their Virulent Newcastle Disease quarantine area. I don't know its current status, or where you live in relation to it, but I'd hate for you to accidentally drive through it and have problems (not illness issues, but legal ones).

9. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Worse yet, illnesses!
    Mary

10. ShannonR

ShannonR Songster

Sep 17, 2015
    The vet clearance idea was a good thing to point out, but I think the idea has been gotten across by now. At this point, it's a little off-topic... that isn't what the OP was even asking about. I'm not disagreeing, but think we would be better helping the OP by sticking to the original topic at hand.:ya

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: