Need Advice on Muscovy - Call - Khaki Campbell Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by junecleaver, Jun 24, 2016.

1. junecleaver

junecleaver New Egg

Jun 24, 2016
    I have had chickens of all sorts, Sebastapol geese, and now I have a nice-sized duck house and enclosed run.(3 Separate enclosures with large, attached runs). I have read as much as I can on ducks and the different breeds, but I am pausing before purchasing any other ducks until I hear from the Duck Experts out there on Backyardchickens. Our duck area is a small log house, about 10x10ft (originally a fort for one of our sons who has "outgrown" it. We have a totally enclosed, including the top, run- about 20x16. They have a large pool and a converted claw foot bathtub for swimming. A year ago,
    My history with ducks was: I had a breeding pair of Cayugas that were previously housed with the Sebastapol geese. When egg-laying started this past spring- I was upset to find the Cayuga drake had begun nibbling on one of my geese- even bloodying her wing. He was really having territorial issues with the geese- both male and female, and I sold that pair of Cayuga ducks fast! All of that to say, I have seen the carnage that can come from placing the wrong ducks and geese together, and I would like to avoid any issues like that with the new duck enclosure.
    I know that drakes can have nice personalities until the spring and they turn into little monsters- so any advice from those with duck experience would be greatly appreciated. Also, I am not able to free range due to a disagreeable neighbor and living on a County highway- I know that doesn't help with territory issues.
    So, the current Duck enclosure situation is: I have 1 very sweet Muscovy Hen who is a year old and laying eggs regularly. I also have a 6 Call ducks- 4 males and 2 females. Currently, those 7 ducks get along well, but I really want to have at least another Muscovy hen to keep the other company. Also, I am thinking of getting a Muscovy Drake. My concern is placing any other drake in with the Call ducks. My last addition would be a breeding pair of Khaki Campbells. Anyone out there with Muscovy and Call Duck -Khaki Campbell experience that can advise? Common sense is telling me to forget adding the Muscovy Drake....but possibly the Khaki Campbell drake would be better suited- Or- is any Drake larger than the Call Ducks a bad idea. Thanks!

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

3. junecleaver

junecleaver New Egg

Jun 24, 2016
    Thanks! I have had countless questions about chickens, geese, and SO many questions about the entire incubation process answered over the years- Such helpful, pleasant folks on this website; I figured this is the best place to find Duck Experts too!

4. junecleaver

junecleaver New Egg

Jun 24, 2016
    I love all the pictures of your chickens! You are a talented photographer, and I can tell you love each one of those chickens. That's as it should be. I know each one I have lost makes my heart hurt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by