Need advice on my hen but don't know how to load a picture.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by terrilhb, Dec 31, 2010.

1. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I have a hen who is missing feathers where her tail and back meet. I have checked her for mites lice and everything. She will be 6 months old on the 5th of Jan. I would post a picture but do not know how. It looks like she has a hump there but there really isn't. I do not know what to do.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You might have a feather picker, seems like thats a problem this time of year when the chickens are cooped up more, Do you use a heat lamp or leave a light on 24/7 could also cause them to be awake more and tend to do more pecking on each other. Chickens need things to do when the weather is bad, give them cabbage hung up in there coop, I also read that beets with their tops was another excellent choice for them. Plus they might need more protein in their diet so maybe give them some scrambled eggs, yogurt, lean meat, cheese.. meal worms to see if that helps. I hope I haven't over loaded you, just wanted to throw out a few things to think about. ....[​IMG]

3. terrilhb

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    figured out how here is a picture [​IMG]

4. terrilhb

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    No Ma'm. I leave a light on for about 12 to 14 hrs a day. My husband says molting but from what I have read she is to young. I think. This is our 1st bunch of chickens. I worry about them. I did not know you could love chickens so much. Thank you so much.

5. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    Do you have a Roo? If so, I would say he's rubbing off the feathers when he mounts her. If he's young like she is he'll settle down once everyone knows he's boss, but they won't really grow back and look totally normal until she molts. I've had two hens like that and now that everyones a little older and wiser and they've gone through a molt they've gotten all their feathers back and they were never rubbed of again.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It could be the roo but when my hen was being loved to much by my roo it was more on her wings. At least another thing to look into.

7. terrilhb

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I have 3 roo's. Thank you so much. I was worried because none of the other hens have this. Thank you again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by