Need Advice On Pendulous Crop and Surgery....ANYONE?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PrincessPollo, Oct 17, 2016.

1. PrincessPollo

PrincessPollo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2015
    Michigan
    My SLW Gypsy has been in and out of the vet office for the last week with an impacted/pendulous crop. This is the second time this year. It is now baseball sized and hard. It was MUCH larger. They have flushed her crop with water, but not vomited her. They did find bacteria so she has been on antibiotics for about a week now. I feed organic layer pellets, free choice grit and oyster shell. I took her back in to the vet this a.m. and they are now suggesting surgery. She has worn a crop bra for the last 3 days with little improvement. Her crop never empties completely so i wonder if the surgery will even help her? I'm afraid she will get it emptied and just stuff it full again to the point where he stumbles when she walks. They want to do surgery tomorrow any positive outcomes will be appreciated, but please share the negative too. Thanks.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I wish you and gypsy all the best. Hope they not only help her but that her condition doesn't return. Fingers crossed and well wishes! [​IMG]Keep us posted.

3. PrincessPollo

Jul 29, 2015
    Michigan
    UPDATE: Gypsy is home now (and separated from the flock) after the baseball sized mass of grass, straw, dirt, and who knows what else, was removed from her crop. I am concerned that she will fill it right back up when i offer her food. Also, the vet said no restrictions on diet and go back to her normal feeding? They did tube feed her at the vet and she is still very groggy. The vet also said that he has seen very little improvement with crop bras for a pendulous crop. if there is anyone out there that can give me advice, it would be greatly appreciated. For now I think i will let her sleep (its getting dark out anyway) and go back to feeding "baby food" as my girls call it (watery chicken food). I'm tempted to put that crop bra back on her in a couple days just to hold her crop it and prevent her from over stuffing it. Thoughts? Anyone? Also, thank you redsoxs for the well wishes. :)

4. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
  5. PrincessPollo

Jul 29, 2015
    Michigan
    Thank you! I think i read it a while ago, but will definitely refresh my brain!

6. BossyBantam

BossyBantam Just Hatched

Sep 3, 2016
    Northern California
    About the feeding, I would give soft foods such as, Soft scrambled eggs (not wet like uncooked just very soft) unflavored gelatin mixed with vitamin water, VERY mushy layer pellets, and other very soft/ watery food. Bossy seemed to really like applesauce. You’re giving her soft food so her crop can heal. I don’t know why the vet would say to go back to normal food right away? Also, give it to her in small portions throughout the day so you can monitor how well she is digesting it.

Have you ever treated her for worms or other digestive problems? I hope she gets better![​IMG]

7. PrincessPollo

Jul 29, 2015
    Michigan
    Luckily, I'm home throughout the day, so that was my plan. Small amounts if mushy food. Shes definitely perky this morning but didn't eat much of her soggy layer pellets. I'll try some scrambled eggs in a bit. Shes never been treated for worms. She had her crop flushed earlier this spring, which i think stretched out her crop & now we are dealing with this. Thanks for the input. We'll see how the day goes :)

8. PrincessPollo

Jul 29, 2015
    Michigan
    Also forgot to ask....with all this mushy food do i need to offer grit?

9. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Hi

I recently had a bantam pekin (cochin) with a pendulous crop, the size you describe and like your girl it was tipping her over. I got her in April and I think perhaps she had never seen grass before because she seemed to gorge on it the first few weeks and I started to get worried about the size of her crop and restricted her access. She went broody and reared chicks through the summer and seemed a lot better and then a few weeks ago it got significantly worse and I was alarmed one day to realise that it was like that first thing on a morning. I isolated her and gave her small sloppy feeds and massage 4x a day. I had to remove all bedding.... even a tiny scattering of sawdust was being eaten.....it seems she was physically starving because of the impaction and therefore ravenous. I tried to vomit her several times, the final occasion I was on for over an hour without success...I was pretty sure she was going to die anyway. The day after she was a little better and the following day better still, so although I didn't get anything to come up, the constant massaging during that time must have helped. It took nearly 2 weeks of sloppy food and massage but I got her back to normal....for now ....and I am monitoring closely. Once she finishes moulting I will be looking to fit a crop bra, but I would imagine it would be pretty uncomfortable with all those pin feathers coming through, so I'm hanging fire..

My thoughts are that once the crop stretches to that extent, it loses it's elasticity and sags so that the outlet into the digestive tract is no longer the lowest part. Fibre, sediment and probably grit build up in the sagged bit and then block the outlet. The chicken is not getting the nutrition she needs because of the blockage and eats more because she is starving, stretching it further until there is no room for movement. If surgery is done, in my opinion it should include removing the sagged/stretched part of the crop and not just the contents.

I don't think that a crop bra will help an impacted crop but I think that once it has been emptied, it may well prevent it reoccurring by keeping that stretched part of the crop supported in a higher position so that it cannot sag and block the outlet. This is just my opinion based on what I have observed with my bantam pekin Portia and the little knowledge I have of chicken anatomy. I think exercise is also very important and being broody probably aggravates the problem. My rooster gives her a good morning exercise routine now and much as I feel for her dashing around trying to avoid his advances, I also know that it is probably doing her good!

Like you I would stick with sloppy feeds for a week more and give her a daily massage. I would also monitor her weight or body condition. I was horrified to find that my girl was skin and bone behind that huge crop. Her keel bone was as sharp as a knife. I am giving her extra calories now to try to build her back up. Strangely, despite her crop being massive for weeks and feeling quite hot, she never suffered sour crop.

Anyway, that is my experience and I hope it is of some help to you.

Best wishes

Barbara

10. PrincessPollo

Jul 29, 2015
    Michigan
    Barbara, Thank you for sharing all the valuable info. I agree with what you are saying about the crop bra. I will be putting that back on her after i make sure her incision is healed. I can definitely tell G has lost some weight also. I wish my vet would have been able to remove the "extra" crop, but has never done the surgery. He said it would have to be done separate from the surgery she just had. :/

For now Gypsy is in a plastic dog crate lined with towels with water and grit. I have been feeding her the mushy pellets mixed with soft scrambled egg on and off all day today. I moved her crate down by her sisters to get some fresh air and so they wouldn't forget about her. She is drinking & eating little bits at a time and had a couple semi firm poops overnight and this morning, until about an hour ago. She pooed out some watery poo followed by an orange colored watery blob? I am going to keep an eye on that.

She is acting quite spunky and even tried to escape the garage while I was moving her crate to give her a change in scenery. So far things are looking up from a week ago, but only time will tell. She has a follow up appointment in 6 days. Fingers crossed for Gypsy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by