Need advice on placement of water heater thermostat/light in homeade cabinet incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by QuailQT, Mar 10, 2012.

1. QuailQT

QuailQT Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2009
    NW PA
    I've looked at several cabinet incubators on this site and most have the hot water heater therrmostat in the top next to the light, but is it best to have the back of the water heater thermostat facing the light a few inches away or should I attach it to the wall with spacers? Does it make a difference in keeping the temp stable?

Also, is a shelf at the top necessary or is it only to hold the fan? I thought I would just hang my fan from the top pointing at an angle if I didn't need a shelf.

Here's what my incubator looks like so far....

[​IMG]

2. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan

This link will show you how to modify a hot water heater thermostat that will give you unbelievable temps. I've used it in my home made incubators and have gotten temps to stay within 1/2 degree. I used a 60W bulb in a stryofoam cooler, putting the thermostat only an inch away from the bulb with the back of the thermostat to the light, and it has worked well. You may have to experiment with your's because it's alot bigger than the one I use.

My thoughts on using a bator the size of yours are to have a shelf at the top to hold everything you want to use for heat control and heat distribution.

3. QuailQT

QuailQT Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2009
    NW PA
    Thank you soooo much! Exactly what I needed-watching videos now.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by