Need advice on possible digestive issues

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bappl, Sep 30, 2015.

1. bappl

bappl Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi all,

I'm new to chickens. I have had my first flock since they were day old chicks. I have six hens (2 rhode island reds, 2 barred rock, and 2 easter eggers) and one rooster (rhode island red). They are all around 5 1/2 months old. Four of my six hens have begun laying and have been laying for around two or three weeks without any issues. Four of my six hens (the ones who are laying) have been getting poo on their bottoms. So far it's just been a little bit. But today, one hen had enough that I had to wash her bottom (I used blue dawn and warm water). She had several good sized chunks. I've also noticed very watery poos on the ground. Though, after seeing pictures of chicken poo (I found the link, on this site, to tons of pics of normal and abnormal poo), I don't really think they have diarrhea. Other than this, they are eating normally, drinking normally, and acting normally. They haven't lost any weight either. Am I overreacting? I bought a bottom of wormer but I'm not going to use it unless I actually see any worms in the poo, which I haven't. I did, however, add a teaspoon of vinegar and some probiotic powder to their water. This afternoon, I gave them a snack of their pellets mixed with yogurt. By the way, my chickens are free range and have never been wormed. I appreciate your insight!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I'd de-worm them - i would have thought that since they are free range they are bound to have picked some worms up along the way. My chickens free range and i de-worm them twice a year (timings change depending on if i see worms in the poo). It can't do any harm and at least you can rule worms out if the issue persists.

CT

3. bappl

Thank you for responding. I bought wazine dewormer but wanted advice before administering for the first time since I'm new to chickens. Only thing is, it says on the label not to give to chickens whose eggs are used for human consumption. So I think I'm going to take that back and get a different kind. How long do you toss the eggs when you deworm your hens?

4. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015
    I usually follow instructions as per the specific de-wormer. For the one i use its 4 days, but i am sure this will vary so check the instructions. Seems a little strange about the instructions on wazine - maybe its written there with commercial layers in mind? Im sure that are other BYC members in the US who have experience using Wazine, so i hope that they can help further.

Good luck
    CT

5. bappl

I'm not sure if it's for commercial layers or not. I do think it's for meat birds and not laying birds. I still have the bottle but I haven't used it and am not planning on it. I'm going to look for a dewormer that's made more for laying hens. Thank you for responding to my question. :)

6. bappl

Update:

I was just being an over reacting new chicken mama. They're poo is all normal. Now that I know that, I feel silly that I thought something was wrong. But hey, we all start somewhere. Ha ha!! Thanks for all of the replies. :O)

7. Pork Pie Ken

Jan 30, 2015

Well that's great news. No need to feel silly, we all gather experience as we go. Showing concern for your flock is certainly not a bad thing and you did the right thing.

All the best for the new year

Ct

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by