Need advice on possible vent gleet, feather loss and pecking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kellyangel77, Mar 23, 2013.

1. kellyangel77

kellyangel77 New Egg

Mar 23, 2013
    Hi I am new to BYC and chicken raising. The other day I encountered my first problem since I got chickens around a year ago. I have two chickens that I'm pretty sure are shavers and are around 1 year old. They have been wonderful and I have encountered no problems until now. One chicken seemed to have rather messy feathers around it’s vent and runny stool so I did some research and vent gleet seemed to be what she has but I am not quite sure, it could be just normal diarrheaa. So I bathed her in Epsom salts, gave her some yogurt and some more Epsom salts orally with water. The only reason I noticed that anything was wrong that she seemed to be molting a lot. I was wondering If this is anything more than normal molting as her feathers have never done this before? Apart from that and not eating much she wasn't exhibiting any other unusual behavior. After the bath I watched her for around half an hour to make sure she was ok and that I didn't stress her out too much and I noticed the other chicken was pecking at the feathers around her vent. So I had a look and saw that quite a few were missing. I know that chickens pecking others can get quite out of hand so I was wondering if this is anything to worry about? Also is there anything else I should do to help my chicken with the diarrhea. Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    you can give powered probiotic for her diarrhea. something like probios. it's got more live cultures and is lactose free which is better for her loose stool. when my chicken had loose stool or diarrhea, I used probios and in three days her stool was normal and healthy! I now give probios on monthly basis. what it does is replace the bad bacteria with good bacteria. read "probotic for chickens".you will see the benefit it has and see it has so many wonderful bacteria that replaces the bad bacteria and helps fight infection with good bacteria. it has alot more than yougart. also if she still has infection you can try monostat along with the probios. I was really impressed with the probios! now my chickens stool is solid and very healthy. also the good bacteria takes up housing and helps fight infection. I highly recommend it. best wishes.

3. keenecowboy

keenecowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2011
    Coshocton, OH
    Where do you get this stuff. I just noticed this AM that i have a couple with the loss of tail feathers and a butt that looks shaved. The others peck at her. These chickens are now 7 months old. They are Golden Buffs.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I saw some probiotics at Tractor Supply last week in the chicken aisle. They may have them in the vitamin aisle at Walmart, too.

5. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    get the probotics for chickens or animals. like probios. you can get it fairly cheap online and it lasts along time! it comes in in a jar with 240grams. it has live lactobacillus acidophillis, and many other live cultures! you can go to www. probios. com. and check it out. you only use a1/4 teaspoon a day. im confident you will be pleased with the results. I know i was!

6. kellyangel77

kellyangel77 New Egg

Mar 23, 2013
    I tried giving her some probios in some yogurt but she wasn't very hungry, but I did give her some more Epsom salts with water and she seemed better than yesterday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by