Need advice on roost placement

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by eggspletive!, Sep 8, 2009.

1. eggspletive!

eggspletive! Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2009
    Well, we're making good progress on our coop and now I need to start thinking about the details, like where exactly to place the roost. I've got a raised henbox inside a covered run. The henbox is 3 feet tall inside. How high up in it should I place my roost?

Thanks for your help! I've gotten so much great advice here--I really appreciate it.

2. 4HillsSumatras

4HillsSumatras Chillin' With My Peeps

What kind of chickens do you have?? Our Sumatras like to roost very high. Will you be showing your birds? If so you need to make sure that there tails will not rub while on the roost.

3. Flintrock

Flintrock Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2009
    Flint, TX
    I placed my roost higher than the nesting boxes, because I read they will roost in the highest spot. My nesting boxes are 15" at the top and the roost is mounted on the opposite wall at 26" from the floor, the manure box is beneath the roost. I hope this will help you.

4. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    I will have nest box just off the ground and then a 'double' one with the bottom about a foot up. If that does not work I can raise the single one a couple of feet. Roost will go at 3-3/12 " high with a poop board at 2 feet under it.

5. eggspletive!

Jun 9, 2009
    Well my real question, I guess, is how far down from the ceiling does it have to be, and how far out from the wall? I will have an Aurucana, a Welsummer, and a Speckled Sussex.

6. 4HillsSumatras

4HillsSumatras Chillin' With My Peeps

About 16" down. about the same from the wall.

7. eggspletive!

Jun 9, 2009
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by