Need Advice On Shipped Eggs! Took six days to get here!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BetsyB0101, Mar 3, 2012.

1. BetsyB0101

BetsyB0101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2011
    Southwest Missouri
    Hi! I just wanted some opinions on the best way to go about incubating the eggs I got today through the mail. I have hatched shipped eggs before so know some of the difficulties. Well, I bought Lemon Cuckoo Orpington eggs from DancingHen and she sent them out last Monday. They were supposed to be here Wednesday. Just got here today, it is Saturday. So the dates on the eggs are between 2-21 and 2-26. So all of them are a week old or older (they were in the mail for six days). I normally set shipped eggs out for 24 hours before I put them in the incubator then leave the turner off for 24 hours more. Should I do that with these? They are already so old I am just itching to go ahead and get them in the incubator. I don't know which is riskier, waiting longer when they are already so old or not letting them sit for as long as I usually do? So what would you do? Hoping to get some good advice. Thanks for your help!
    PS: DancingHen is wonderful and even though this is obviously no fault of hers, she is going to replace the eggs if they don't develop after 7 days in the incubator. Just wanted to brag a bit on her. She has been great to work with and I really appreciate her support!

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi, I would just do what you normally do. They are not that old. At day 7 you can look for growth and see what ya got.

3. AHDCST

AHDCST Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Albemarle,NC
    [​IMG] Hey Betsy! Thank you for your kind encouragement about my chick with the sac. I have kept eggs up to 10 days before putting them in the incubator. They have all done fine(today's chick is an exception). As long as they have been moved and turned which would be the case with them going in the mail, you shouldn't have any trouble. I have always been told by more experienced chicken farmers that you can wait up to 14 days but of course the older they get the more likelihood of them not hatching.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by