Need Advice on Sick Chick

alfy04

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 28, 2014
Hi everyone
I am still new to the world of chicken keeping. We have 8 silkies, 2 EEs and 2 SLs that are all 12 weeks old . I need some advice. About a week ago, my daughter brought one of the silkies to me - it was all flopped over and could no hold its head up or feed itself . I did some research and determined that it was probably wryneck. We follow the protocol that some have recommended with vitamin E and B vitamins etc. but she seemed to get worse _ probably due to my incorrect feeding method with the dropper . She developed a respiratory infection and was having trouble breathing . I really didn't think she would make it . I massaged her crop and it felt all puffy and watery . I turned her slightly sideways and a bunch of foul-smelling mucus came out . After that she could breathe much better and take a little water and vitamins and food from a spoon . I changed my feeding method and just held a spoon to the tip of her beak for her to eat rather than trying to use a dropper . I noticed over the last couple days she seem to be getting a bit stronger and actually started peeping again and trying to hold her head up and kick her legs around and even flap her
wings . I am really surprised that she's made it this long . Yesterday, however, I noticed that one of her eyes was very swollen. . At this point I am thinking that the best option would probably be to cull her . I am very concerned that even if she were to improve , she could be a carrier of some disease that would expose the whole flock . Looking back, this particular chick seemed to have constant problems with pasty butt - even a couple weeks ago we had to give her a bath because she had a lot of poop matted to her feathers. I am now wondering if perhaps she has had other health issues from day one. .... Taking care of a chick that can't feed itself is extremely time-consuming but beyond that I am very concerned that even even if she were to improve...putting her back with the flock could expose the others (as I've read that even if they get well, they can still be carriers of disease). I have read several other accounts from those who regret putting their seemingly recovered chick back with the flock. These are my 10-year-old daughter's chicks and she's very attached to them. Of course she wanted to take the sick chicken to the vet but my husband explained to her we are not running to the vet every time one of the chicks has a problem as we have 12 of them . Can some of you guide me on this ? Thanks much .

If I were you I would contact your state vet to euthanize and do a necropsy on the sick chick to find out what disease it may have. With wry neck and a respiratory disease, and with decreased immunity, you could be dealing with Mareks disease, avian leukosis, or just a chronic respiratory disease, but any of those are serious, and can make carriers of your whole flock for life. It would be good to know, and in some states like California, necropsies are free. Most will euthanize free with the cost of the necropsy. Here is a link to finding your state vet: http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

Back
Top Bottom