1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need advice on sick gander

Discussion in 'Geese' started by gooselove, Oct 11, 2016.

1. gooselove

gooselove Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2016
    Coquille, Oregon
    I hope someone out there can help or suggest something for my Toulouse gander, Gary. He is just over one year old.

In August, Gary seemed ill-no appetite, rumpled looking, lethargic, diarrhea. I took him to our local vet (no avian vet around here). She did a fecal exam and general exam which showed no parasites. Vet prescribed Baytril 22.7 tablets 2x per day for 7 days. We finished the course of antibiotics and Gary seemed to be back to normal. Unfortunately, about two weeks after finishing the Baytril, Gary began exhibiting the SAME symptoms as before. I called the vet and she prescribed another 7 day course of Baytril. Gary finished all the pills on September 29 and the Baytril worked quickly and Gary was feeling great. Now it's October 11 and Gary is starting the same symptoms again. I have a call into the vet to see what to do now. I've been providing a bucket of probiotics/electrolytes following each course of Baytril.

Gary and his goose friend Lucy eat Flock Raiser-I've never changed this since they started on it. I was feeding a handful of scratch every day as a treat, but have cut that back to encourage them to eat the FR. They are free range so they have access to grass and their kiddie pool. I have chickens too, so the geese have access to Calf Manna, black oil sunflower seeds and lay pellets.

I keep buckets of water throughout the yard with ACV in each bucket. These buckets are changed/dumped/refilled several times a day. We don't use any toxic sprays around the property

I keep the geese locked up at night because of predators and their bedding is bagged pine shavings-again-no changes in that since gosling age.

Lucy is fine. She has never been sick or showed any symptoms like Gary.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

Thank you!

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    How's his body weight? I'd do some research into some Avian Vets that you could call for a consult, even out of the area. Or maybe even a University Extension office.

3. gooselove

Mar 17, 2016
    Coquille, Oregon
    At this time, his body weight is ok, maybe a little thinner than he normally is. He puts weight back on when feeling good on the antibiotics and just afterwards, but now he isn't eating as much as he normally eats.

I've only found one avian vet in our state and that vet refused to do any consulting over the phone-so I did try that.
    I have sent an email to the closest veterinary college in hopes that I could get some answers, but haven't heard back yet.

Gary has an appointment with the local vet tomorrow-I asked her staff if she could check with an avian vet before our appointment so hoping for some answers tomorrow.

4. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Hope you get to the bottom of it. Its odd that his mate isn't showing same signs. Must be a condition specific to him, at his mate isn't sick. So its not likely something to do with their housing, food, water, etc... Keep posting progress.

5. gooselove

Mar 17, 2016
    Coquille, Oregon
    Update on Gary:

An x-ray shows some sort of obstruction/narrowing of his esophagus. The vet I'm using isn't an avian vet, so isn't sure what is going on inside him. I've asked her to consult with an avian vet-but not sure if she will. I will follow up with the vet on Monday to see what she has found out.

I live in Oregon-does anyone out there know of a good avian vet in Oregon or northern California?

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1048640/avian-vet-search-links

Hope you find out soon what is going on with Gary.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by