Need advice on silkie chicks colouring ASAP

Melmba

Chirping
Aug 7, 2020
I have 1 white 1 blue showboy and 2 suposedly black but as their growing their not looking black to me and their being sold today so i need to warn seller before they arrive please advize asap .. white and blue are from same parents , the 2 "black" are from 2 black parents whoch i also hatched 2 partridges from so i know blood line isnt pure black, i see the chicks being half black half blue is this possible ill add pictures . I have marked colours in photos to show which 2 i need advice on with black. They are all 6 days old

Attachments

• 20201020_104629.jpg
    20201020_104629.jpg
    452.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 20201020_104654.jpg
    20201020_104654.jpg
    382.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20201020_104740.jpg
    20201020_104740.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 20201020_104756.jpg
    20201020_104756.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 20
They look black to me. In one pic they look blue but they could color out black or bark blue. The silkie NN are showgirls. She or he is very cute😍!

the 2 "black" are from 2 black parents whoch i also hatched 2 partridges from so i know blood line isnt pure black

If both parents are black (not blue), then it should be impossible for them to produce blue chicks.

Are you familiar with how black/blue/splash works? Two copies of the not-blue gene makes black, two copies of the blue gene makes splash, one copy of each makes blue.

I should also say my camera isnt picking up the odd co
They look black to me. In one pic they look blue but they could color out black or bark blue. The silkie NN are showgirls. She or he is very cute😍!
I called him showboy cos hes a boy 🙈 i just havnt seen a black silkie chick to know the difference thanku for ur reply

If both parents are black (not blue), then it should be impossible for them to produce blue chicks.

Are you familiar with how black/blue/splash works? Two copies of the not-blue gene makes black, two copies of the blue gene makes splash, one copy of each makes blue.
Yes im very familiar on how to get blue chicks, these 2 black parents gave me 2 partridge chicks and because the black chicks arent completly black its making me wonder, but if u think its not possible then they must be black chicks

Yes im very familiar on how to get blue chicks, these 2 black parents gave me 2 partridge chicks and because the black chicks arent completly black its making me wonder, but if u think its not possible then they must be black chicks

I don't know whether your chicks are actually black, just saying that they should not be blue.

For selling them--I assume you can tell the buyer that the parents were black, that the parents have also produced partridge chicks, and they can see for themselves the color of these chicks.

If both parents are black those chicks cannot be blue. For you to get partridge chicks from two black parents it means they are split for black and partridge, have one gene of each at that gene pair. What I think you have are chicks that are basically black but you will get a lot of red leakage. Genetically there are different ways to make black so something else may be going on. but I think hat makes the most sense.

white and blue are from same parents
Please explain.. What color are the alleged parent stock? White and blue do not come from the same genes UNLESS the white looking one is Splash or maybe paint.. but it looks like neither..

I don't see any NN chicks at all.. no Showgirls.. maybe I'm blind? :confused:

Eta: Welcome to BYC and thank you for sharing your mystery! :frow

Please explain.. What color are the alleged parent stock? White and blue do not come from the same genes UNLESS the white looking one is Splash or maybe paint.. but it looks like neither..

white and blue are from same parents , the 2 "black" are from 2 black parents whoch i also hatched 2 partridges from so i know blood line isnt pure black,

I took it as one pair of parents producing the white chick and the blue chick, while a different set of parents produced the two black chicks.

Back
Top Bottom